1st week of September
1) SBI Life Insurance Gets SEBI approval for Rs 8,400 crore IPO.
SBI Life Insurance has received approval from the Securities and Exchange Board of India for an IPO (Initial Public Offering) of up to Rs 8,400 crore ($1.3 billion).
Its Tagline: With us, You are sure.
2) Indo-US Exercise Yudh Abhyas 2017
Exercise Yudh Abhyas is one of the largest joint running military training and defence corporation endeavors between India and USA. This will be the 13th edition of the joint exercise hosted alternately between the two countries.
3) Parineeti Chopra, First Indian Woman Ambassador For Tourism Australia
Malcolm Turnbull is the PM of Australia.
Canberra is the Capital of Australia.
4) Sankara Narayanan Takes Charge as MD & CEO of Vijaya Bank
R A Sankara Narayanan has taken charge as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Vijaya Bank.
Vijaya bank headquarter is in Bengaluru.
Tagline: A friend you can bank upon
5) Star India Bags IPL Media Rights
Star India edged out Sony Pictures to secure the Indian Premier League’s media rights with a bid of Rs 16,347.50 crore. The bidding for various media rights of the cash-rich league was held in Mumbai for a five-year period from 2018-2022.
6) *9th BRICS Summit Kicks off in Xiamen, China*
The 9th BRICS Summit has started in Xiamen, China with a group photograph of leaders of the five countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa).
The theme of the 9th BRICS Summit is “Stronger Partnership for a better future”.
7) *Mahendra Singh Dhoni, First Wicketkeeper to Effect 100 Stumpings*
Former India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the first wicketkeeper in world cricket to effect 100 stumpings in One Day Internationals (ODIs). Dhoni achieved the feat in his 301st ODI in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
8) *National teachers day: 5th September*
It is celebrated to honor Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishanan’s birthday.
*9) Modi Cabinet Reshuffle*
A. *Piyush Goyal* has been appointed as the Union Railway Minister.
B. *Nirmala Sitharaman* was given the Defence Ministry, becoming only the second woman to hold the post after Indira Gandhi.
C. *Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi*: Minister of Minority Affairs.
10) *Konkani Writer Mahabaleshwar Sail Receives 2016 Saraswati Samman*
Prominent Konkani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail was presented with the Saraswati Samman 2016 for his novel ‘Hawthan’.
11) *Rajiv Kumar Takes Charge as Niti Aayog Vice-Chairman*
Economist Rajiv Kumar took over as the vice-chairman of government think tank NITI Aayog. Mr. Kumar replaced Arvind Panagariya.
Mr. Narendra Modi is the chairman of NITI aayog.
12) *Rajiv Mehrishi is New CAG of India*
The outgoing Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi was appointed Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG).
13) *Shyam Saran’s Book ‘How India Sees the World’ Launched*
The book of Former Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran named “How India Sees the World: Kautilya to the 21st Century”- was launched by former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh
14) Surya Kiran: Indo-Nepal Joint Military Exercise
15) Ahmedabad Formally Accorded Status of India’s First World Heritage City by UNESCO
2nd week of September
1) Global Human Capital Index: India at 103, Norway Tops.
India has been placed at a low 103 rank, the lowest among BRICS economies, on the World Economic Forum’s Global Human Capital Index. The list has been topped by Norway.
The list takes into account “the knowledge and skills people possess that enable them to create value in the global economic system” to measure the ‘human capital’ rank of a country.
2) Sachin Tendulkar Launches Mission 24
Former Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar launched -Mission 24 for Mumbai’s M east ward which is known to have one of highest slum population’s in the city.
The project by NGO Apnalaya and Mumbai first plans to work along with the BMC -as the principal stakeholder over the next 24 months to improve the quality of lives of people living in M east ward of Mumbai.
3) Paris Officially Awarded 2024 Summer Olympics, Los Angeles Gets 2028
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has formally announced that Paris has been awarded the 2024 summer Olympics and Los Angeles has been given the 2028 edition.
4) Shinzo Abe Gujarat Visit: India’s First Bullet Train Project Inaugurated.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe laid the foundation stone of the 508-km long Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail in Ahmedabad.
A. The cost of the project is Rs 1,10,000-crore.
B. Once complete, the train which will have a top speed of 350 km per hour will reduce travel time between the two cities to around 2 hours from the existing 7 hours.
C. The Project is scheduled to complete by December 2023 (Tentative).
D. The project is mostly on Japanese soft loan.
*Soft loan means very low interest rate and repaying payment time is more.*
5) First Lifetime Achievement Award to Prakash Padukone.
The renowned Indian Badminton legend Prakash Padukone has been selected for the first life time award by Badminton Association of India (BAI). He has been selected for the award for his contributions to Badminton.
6) Halimah Yacob- 1st Female President of Singapore.
Halimah Yacob was sworn-in as the 8th President of Singapore. She became the country’s first female President and the first in five decades to come from the Malay ethnicity.
7) RBI to Introduce Rs 100 Coin to Mark MG Ramachandran’s Birth Centenary.
As per the notification of Finance Ministry, the Reserve Bank of India will introduce 100 rupees coin to mark the birth centenary (hundredth anniversary) of AIADMK founder Late Dr. M G Ramachandran.
8) US Open tennis tournament 2017 winners.
Men’s Singles: Rafael Nadal
Women’s Singles: Sloane Stephens
9) First water ATM in Hyderabad Inaugurated.
The First water ATM has been inaugurated by Telangana State Home Minister N Narasimha Reddy.
10) Sjoerd Marijne Named New Coach of Indian Men’s Hockey Team.
Women’s national hockey coach Sjoerd Marijne was named chief coach of the men’s side. He has replaced Roelant Oltmans.
11) Ashish Kashyap Resigns as President and Co-founder of MakeMyTrip.
3rd week of September
1) *Cricketer Kuldeep Yadav* has become 3rd Indian after chetan sharma and Kapil Dev and 1st Spinner to take a hat-rick in One day International Cricket Game.
In 2nd ODI Match against Australia at Eden Garden Kolkata, Kuldeep achieved this feat.
2) *Google Bought HTC’s Pixel Team for 1.1 billion dollars.*
HTC is a taiwan based smartphone maker company.
3) *Three Indians Among World’s ‘100 Greatest Living Business Minds’*
Three Indian entrepreneurial legends, Ratan Tata, Lakshmi Mittal and Vinod Khosla have been included in Forbes’s special list of the world’s ‘100 Greatest Living Business Minds.
4) *BCCI Nominates MS Dhoni for Padma Bhushan Award*
The Indian cricket board, BCCI has nominated Mahendra Singh Dhoni for the country’s third highest civilian award – the Padma Bhushan, for his contribution to the game.
5) *Lewis Hamilton Wins Singapore Grand Prix*
Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton won the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix, in Singapore. Hamilton’s rival Sebastian Vettel withdrew in the middle of the race due to his damaged Ferrari car.
6) *Cyclist Mark Beaumont Breaks the World Record*
Mark Beaumont has broken the world record for cycling around the world – by 44 days. The 34-year-old, from Perthshire, arrived in Paris one day ahead of schedule having cycled the 18,000-mile route in 79 days.
He was on his bike for more than 16 hours a day and only slept for five hours each night.
7) *Only Marshal of IAF, hero of 1965, Arjan Singh Passed Away*
For his meritorious services during the 1965 Indo-Pak War, Arjan Singh was honoured with the Padma Vibhushan.
*Air Marshal is the 2nd highest post in Indian Air force. Air chief marshal is the highest post*.
8) *PM Modi inaugurates country’s biggest dam, Sardar Sarovar Dam, Called ‘Gujarat’s Lifeline’, on the river Narmada*
9) *PV Sindhu becomes the first Indian to win the Korea Open Superseries*
Olympic silver medallist shuttler P V Sindhu beat world champion Nozomi Okuhara in a thrilling final to clinch the women’s singles title at the Korea Open Super Series.
10) *Google Tez UPI-Based Digital Payments App Launched in India*
Google Tez has become the latest UPI-based payments app in the country. The new Google Tez app can be used to pay for movie tickets, utility bills, and make other transactions online
11) *69th Emmy Awards 2017*
*The Handmaid’s Tale* became the first web television series to win the award for Outstanding Drama Series.
*Emmy Award is given in recognition of excellence in American primetime television programming.*
12) *India’s Forex Reserves Top $400 billion for the First Time*
According to the RBI Data, India’s foreign-exchange reserves rose past $400 billion for the first time ever, strengthening policy makers’ buffers ahead of an expected reduction in US stimulus.
13) *’Unstoppable: My Life So Far’ authored by Maria Sharapova*
The book titled ‘Unstoppable: My Life So Far’ authored by russian tennis star Maria Sharapova was unveiled. The book talks about Sharapova’s rise from nowhere to tennis stardom, and the unending fight to stay on top.
14) *India Launches ‘Operation Insaniyat’ to Help Bangladesh*
India has started ‘Operation Insaniyat’ to provided assistance to Bangladesh in response to the humanitarian crisis being faced on account of the large influx of Rohingya refugees into that country from Myanmar.
15) *Goa to Host 36th National Games*
The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) formally awarded to Goa the rights to host the 36th National Games. The announcement was made by the state sports minister Manohar Ajgaonkar.
4th week of September
1) *President Appoints Governors for 5 States*
*Satya Pal Malik* : Governor of Bihar
*Banwarilal Purohit* : Governor of Tamil Nadu
*Prof Jagdish Mukhi*: Governor of Assam
*Ganga Prasad* : Governor of Meghalaya
*Brigadier (Retd) BD Mishra:* Governor of arunachal Pradesh
2) *In a First, Saudi Arabia Issues Decree Allowing Women to Drive*
Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has issued a decree allowing women to drive for the first time. The order will be implemented by June 2018. The royal decree will implement the provisions of traffic regulations, including the issuance of driving licences for men and women alike.
Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world to forbid women from driving. Saudi women remain largely under the whim of male relatives due to guardianship laws.
*Riyadh is the Capital of Saudi Arabia.*
3) *Madhya Pradesh Bags ‘Best Tourism State’ Award*
Madhya Pradesh has won the ‘Best Tourism State’ national award for the third consecutive year. President Ram Nath Kovind handed over the award, named as ‘Hall of Fame Award’, to Minister of State for Tourism Surendra Patwa at a ceremony held at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
4) *World Tourism Day*: 27th september
5) *Rajiv Mehrishi Took Oath as New CAG*
Former home secretary Rajiv Mehrishi took over as the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India. Mehrishi succeeded Shashi Kant Sharma.
6) *PM Narendra Modi forms Economic Advisory Council*
PM Narendra Modi reconstituted the Economic Advisory Council (EAC) to guide him on economic issues and appointed economist Bibek Debroy as its chairman. Debroy is a member of government think tank Niti Aayog.
7) *ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Mission Completes 3 Years in Orbit*
The 450-crore rupees MOM mission aims at studying the Martian surface and mineral composition. It will also scan its atmosphere for methane which is an indicator of life on Mars.
8) *Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched – Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana ‘Saubhagya’* to provide electricity connections to over 4 crore families in rural and urban areas by December 2018.
9) *Asian Development Bank (ADB)* has downgraded India’s growth projection to 7% for the current fiscal 2017-18.
10) *Shashi Shankar* was appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of India’s biggest oil and gas producer ONGC.
11) Two Indian women have featured on *Fortune’s list of Most Powerful Women in business outside the US*.
Managing Director and CEO of ICICI Bank Chanda Kochhar was ranked fifth and Managing Director and CEO of Axis Bank Shikha Sharma was ranked at 21.
12) *Newton*: India’s official entry to Oscars 2018
13) *Angela Merkel* wins 4th term as German Chancellor.
14) *Himachal Pradesh, First State to Launch Electric Bus Service in India*
The Himachal Pradesh government on launched first-of-its-kind electric bus service in the 51km-long stretch road between Manali and Rohtang Pass.
15) *World’s Richest Woman Liliane Bettencourt Passes Away*
Liliane Bettencourt, heir to the French L’Oreal hairspray empire and the world’s wealthiest woman, has died aged 94. She was fron France.