1st week of November
1) AU Small Finance Gets Scheduled Commercial Bank Status
AU Small Finance Bank has received Reserved Bank of India (RBI) approval to operate as Scheduled Commercial Bank. This bank’s name has now been included in the Second Schedule of Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934.
2) Hindi Writer Krishna Sobti to Receive 2017 Jnanpith Award
Renowned Hindi litterateur Krishna Sobti has been chosen for 53rd Jnanpith Award for the year 2017, the Jnanpith Selection Board announced.
3) India Makes it to Top 100 in ‘ease of doing business’: World Bank
India broke into the top 100 in the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business rankings, notching up the biggest improvement among all countries on the back of big gains on a number of measures.
4) India Tops List of New Tuberculosis Cases in 2016: WHO
India topped the list of seven countries, accounting for 64 percent of the 10.4 million new tuberculosis (TB) cases worldwide in 2016, according to a new report by the World Health Organisation.
TB is a disease which in humans is usually caused by bacteria called Mycobacterium tuberculosis (M. tuberculosis).
5) Maximum Age of Joining NPS Increased from 60 to 65 years: Finance Ministry
The Ministry of Finance increased the maximum age of joining the National Pension System (NPS) from the existing 60 years to 65 years under NPS – Private Sector (i.e. all citizen and corporate model).
6) Gender Vulnerability Index: Goa Safest, Bihar Least Safe
Goa is safest for girls, and Bihar least safe, according to a newly-formed Gender Vulnerability Index (GVI) by NGO Plan India. National Capital Delhi ranks only better than Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
7) Indo-Kazakhstan Joint Exercise “PRABAL DOSTYK 2017” Begins
A fourteen-day joint training exercise “PRABAL DOSTYK – 2017” between the Indian Army and the Kazakhstan Army commenced with the Opening Ceremony at Bakloh, Himachal Pradesh.
8) Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal Launches 647 Schemes for Development of Majuli
Majuli is a river island in the Brahmaputra River, Assam.It is India’s first island district and *world’s largest river island*.
9) ONGC Gets Government Nod for Acquiring HPCL
ONGC has received the Information Memorandum from the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management for acquiring the majority stake in fellow public sector undertaking HPCL.
ONGC’s acquisition of 51.11 percent stake in HPCL is in line with the government’s plan to create an integrated energy major with businesses spread across the hydrocarbon value chain
10) The Sri Ranganathaswamy temple at Srirangam in Tamil Nadu has won UNESCO Asia-Pacific award for cultural heritage conservation programme in the Awards of Merit category. It is first temple from Tamil Nadu to grab the prestigious honour from the UN body. The temple won the award in recognition of its efforts for protecting and conserving cultural heritage.
11) India was ranked low at 108th position out of 144 countries in Global Gender Gap Index 2017 released as part of World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Gender gap report 2017.
Global Gender Gap Index measures gender gap as progress towards parity between men and women in four indicators (i) Educational attainment, (ii) Health and survival, (iii) Economic opportunity and (iv) Political empowerment.
2nd week of November
1) Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation (APEC) Summit Held in Vietnam
2) Government Launches BharatNet Phase 2 Project
To provide high-speed broadband service in all Gram Panchayats by March 2019, government has launched its second and final phase of BharatNet project. It will be implemented at an outlay of around 34 thousand crore rupees.
3) The 31st ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) Summit was held in Manila, Philippines. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte chaired the summit. The Summit, with the theme “Partnering for Change, Engaging the World”.
4) Pankaj Advani Lifts IBSF World Billiards Championship
Ace Indian cueist Pankaj Advani lifts the IBSF World Billiards Championship. Pankaj Advani clinched his 17th world title at Doha, Qatar
5) Italy Fail to Qualify for FIFA World Cup 2018
In Football, Italy has failed to qualify for the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1958.
FIFA world cup 2018: Russia
6) For first time, Mumbai to Host Asian Bankers Association Summit
7) World Diabetes Day: 14 November
The World Diabetes Day (WDD) was observed globally on 14 November. The theme for 2017 WDD is ‘Women and diabetes – Our right to a healthy future’.
8) Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia has been designated as the new Finance Secretary.
9) Mary Kom Strikes Gold at Asian Women’s Boxing Championships
M.C. Mary Kom (48kg) notched up her fifth gold medal at the Asian Women’s Boxing Championships in Vietnam
10) Prannoy Defeats Srikanth to Emerge as New National Champion
H.S Prannoy defeated World No 2 Kidambi Srikanth in a thrilling finale to claim the men’s singles title at the 82nd Senior National Championship, in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
11) Saina Nehwal Beats PV Sindhu to Become National Champion for 3rd Time
World number 11 Saina Nehwal became the national champion for the third time, defeating world number 2 PV Sindhu in the women’s singles final of Senior National Badminton Championships, in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
12) UNESCO Confirms France’s Audrey Azoulay as New Head
UNESCO member states confirmed the nomination of France’s former culture minister Audrey Azoulay to head the cultural agency. 45-year-old Azoulay becomes UNESCO’s second woman director general.
3rd week of November
1) Qatar, the Richest Country in the World Per Capita
Based on the per capita income of its people, Qatar has been named the world’s richest country as per the recent International Monetary Fund (IMF) report. The per capita GDP (gross domestic product) of Qatar is over Rs. 81 lakh.
Qatar Capital- Doha, Currency- Qatari riyal.
2) Former PM Manmohan Singh to get Indira Gandhi Peace Prize
Former prime minister Manmohan Singh will receive the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development this year for his leadership of the country between 2004 and 2014 and for enhancing India’s stature globally.
3) Manushi Chhillar puts an end India’s 17 year-dry-spell at the top pageant contest, *she crowned Miss world title 2017.*
4) France Named as Host of 2023 Rugby World Cup
France Capital- Paris, Currency- Euro, President- Emmanuel Macron
5) Aditi ashok, First Indian to Qualify for LPGA Tour Championships.
LPGA- Ladies Professional Golf Association.
Remember her name and the sports she is associated with.
6) Tencent Becomes First Chinese Tech Firm Valued over $500 Billion
Tencent has become the first Chinese company to be valued at more than $500 billion in Asia.
7) India’s nominee to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) Dalveer Bhandari was re-elected to the fifth and the last seat of the world court after Britain withdrew its candidate from the election.
*International Court of Justice Headquarters- The Hague, Netherlands.*
8) Moody’s Upgrades India’s Sovereign Rating for First Time in 14 Years
International rating agency Moody’s Investors Service has upgraded India’s local and foreign currency issuer ratings to Baa2 from Baa3 and changed the outlook on the rating to stable from positive.
9) Sebastian Vettel Wins Brazilian Grand Prix
Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel took his first victory since July at the Brazilian Grand Prix, where Lewis Hamilton battled from the back to finish fourth
10) World Toilet Day: 19th November
4th week of November
1) NK Singh Appointed as 15th Finance Commission Chairman
The government announced that former revenue secretary NK Singh will be the chairman of the 15th Finance Commission (FC).
Remember this finance commission will recommend distribution of taxes between the Centre and the states.
2) Ivanka Trump Arrives for Global Entrepreneurship Summit in Hyderabad
The first South-Asian edition of the Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES), which is being organised by the NITI Aayog in partnership with the government of the United States of America started in Hyderabad, Telangana.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s Adviser and daughter Ivanka Trump, who is leading the US delegation for GES 2017 attending the summit at the Hyderabad International Convention Centre (HICC). This year’s Summit will highlight the theme “Women First, Prosperity for All”.
3) Golden Temple Awarded ‘Most Visited Place of the World’
The Golden Temple has been awarded the ‘most visited place of the world’ by ‘World Book of Records’ (WBR), a London-based organisation.
Golden Tample is in Amritsar , Punjab.
4) 26th November: Constitution Day
Dr BR Ambedkar is known as the Father of Indian Constitution.
5) India becomes Second Largest Fish Producing Country in the World
Points to remember:-
China is the largest fish producer country in the world.
Radha Mohan Singh is the Union agriculture minister.
Blue Revolution: Integrated Development and Management of Fisheries.
6) Paytm Acquires Stake in online Loans Firm CreditMate
7) Prime Minister launches Umang app
Prime minister Narendra Modi has launched Umang mobile application, an integrated platform for government to citizen services.
Umang-an acronym for “unified mobile app for new age” e-governance– currently hosts around 162 services from 33 government departments of central and state governments. The app has been developed by the ministry of electronics and information technology (MEITY).
Some of the services relate to Aadhaar, DigiLocker, Pay Gov, Bharat Bill Payments System (BBPS), and CBSE.
8) India climbs 3 steps to 51 on IMD World Talent Rankings
India has improved its ranking by three notches to 51 globally in terms of ability to attract, develop and retain talent while Switzerland topped the list compiled by leading global business school IMD.
9) Swedish home furnishing major IKEA has launched its first experiential centre ‘IKEA Hej HOME’ in Hyderabad, ahead of opening its first store in the country at the same state in spring 2018.
10) SBI launches YONO, an Integrated app for Financial Services
State Bank of India, the country’s largest public sector bank, has launched a unified integrated app called YONO (You Need Only One) that would offer all kinds of financial and lifestyle products.
YONO will also allow customers to meet their lifestyle needs across 14 categories including booking and renting cabs, entertainment, dining experience, travel and stay, medical needs and so on.