1st week of march
1) 90th Academy awards (Oscar Award 2018)
A. Best Picture: The Shape Of Water
B. Best Director: Guillermo del Toro, The Shape Of Water
C. Best Actress: Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
D. Best Actor: Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
E. Best Animated Feature Film: Coco
F. Best Foreign Language Film: A Fantastic Woman, Chile
2) India, Bangladesh, Russia Sign Pact for Rooppur Atomic Plant
Indian companies can now participate in construction and installation works in the “non-critical” category for the Rooppur nuclear power plant in Bangladesh, according to the Russian atomic energy agency Rosatom.
The Rooppur project is the first initiative under an Indo-Russian deal to undertake atomic energy projects in third countries. This will also be the first time Indian companies will be able to participate in a nuclear power project abroad. India, Bangladesh and Russia signed an agreement in this regard in Moscow, Russia.
3) 27th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup Hockey Tournament Begins in Malaysia
The 27th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup Hockey tournament begins in the Malaysian city of Ipoh. Six nations – India, hosts Malaysia, defending champions England, Australia, Argentina and Ireland – are taking part in the tournament.
India, currently the world number six side, will take on world number two Argentina in their opening round-robin match.
4) Iraq Becomes India’s Biggest Oil Supplier
Iraq has become India’s biggest crude oil supplier by overtaking Saudi Arabia with a wide margin in this current financial year.
Iraq Capital- Baghdad, Currency- Iraqi dinar
5) Forbes Billionaires List 2018: Amazon’s Bezos Richest, Mukesh Ambani Ranked 19
With a fortune worth $110 billion, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos is the world’s richest man and tops a 2018 Forbes Magazine list of billionaires. According to the Forbes, Bezos is the first person to top $100 billion as number one on the Forbes list of the World’s Billionaires.
Microsoft founder Bill Gates is second ($90 billion), investment guru Warren Buffet third ($84 billion), Bernard Arnault and family fourth ($72 billion), and Facebook founder-CEO Mark Zuckerberg fifth ($71 billion). Indian industry titan Mukesh Ambani, the chairman of Reliance Industries Limited, is 19th on the list. He’s valued at $40.1 billion.
6) India’s 1st Helicopter Taxi Service Launched in Bengaluru
India’s first helicopter taxi service was launched in Bengaluru to fly passengers from Kempegowda International Airport to Electronic City.
7) Biplab Deb to be Tripura’s New Chief Minister
The Bharatiya Janata Party has named the party’ State president Biplab Kumar Deb as the chief ministerial candidate for Tripura. He will replace Manik Sarkar.
8) Indian Military Ranked 4th Strongest in World, USA Tops
Out of 133 countries, India is ranked fourth on a global index for its military strength, only the United States, Russia and China are ranked above India on the list, according to the latest report of the Global Firepower index 2017.
9) The 27th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup Hockey tournament begins in the Malaysian city of Ipoh. Six nations – India, hosts Malaysia, defending champions England, Australia, Argentina and Ireland – are taking part in the tournament.
10) ISSF World Cup 2018- Shahzar Rizvi Sets World Record; Manu Bhaker Wins Gold
On the opening day of the ISSF World Cup at Guadalajara in Mexico, India had won four medals which include two gold and two bronze. Shahzar Rizvi clinched the gold medal with a world record score in his maiden ISSF World Cup appearance.
11) Rashid Khan Becomes Youngest Captain in International Cricket History
The leg-spinner from Afghanistan, Rashid Khan (19-year-old) has become the youngest captain in international cricket history. He now holds the ICC No. 1 rank for bowlers in both the ODIs and T20Is and also became the youngest player ever to hold the top spot for any form of ICC men’s ranking.
12) Conrad Sangma Takes Oath as New CM of Meghalaya
National People’s Party President Conrad Sangma takes oath as the Chief Minister of Meghalaya
2nd week of March
1) Australia beat England 2-1 to lift 27th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
World champions Australia have lifted the coveted Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey title. In the final at Ipoh, Malaysia, they beat defending champions England by a narrow 2-1 margin. Australia has now won the prestigious tournament for the 10th time.
Earlier, in the classification match for the 3rd place, Argentina finished third after beating Malaysia 3-2. The hosts ended at the 4th spot.
2) India ranks 1st in milk production.
Milk production up 20% in 2014-2017
According to Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Radha Mohan Singh, Milk production in the country increased by 20 percent from 137.7 million tonnes to 165.4 million tonnes between 2014 and 2017. Also, the per capita availability of milk has risen by 15.6 percent from 307 gms a day to 355 gms per day between 2013-14 and 2016-17.
With a corpus of *Rs 2,450 crore*, the government has set up an AHIDF for financing infrastructure requirement of animal husbandry sector.
3) Virat Kohli Named 1st Brand Ambassador for Uber India
UBER is the US-based company.
Dara Khosrowshahi is the CEO of Uber.
4) French President Emmanuel Macron arrived in New Delhi on a four-day visit to India. The visit aims at strengthening the bilateral economic, political and strategic dimension of engagement between the two countries.
5) Biplab Deb Takes Oath As Tripura Chief Minister
Biplab Kumar Deb was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Tripura’s first Bharatiya Janata Party government in Agartala. He has replaced Manik Sarkar.
6) Diu has become the first Union Territory in India to run 100 percent on solar power generated energy.
Diu has managed to generate surplus solar power for its residents, reducing their electricity costs, in a span of just three years.
7) International Women’s Day- 8 March
8) Architect BV Doshi Becomes 1st Indian to Win Pritzker Prize
Architect Balkrishna Vithaldas Doshi has become the first Indian to win the Pritzker Prize, the highest award in architecture. Calling the 90-year-old’s works “poetic”, the foundation commended him for respecting the eastern culture and working towards enhancing the quality of life in India.
9) Scientist Stephen Hawking has died aged 76
Stephen Hawking, the brightest star in the firmament of science, whose insights shaped modern cosmology and inspired global audiences in the millions, has died at the age of 76.
3rd week of march
1) English Cricketer Kevin Pietersen Announces Retirement
Kevin Pietersen, 37 years old, has officially announced his retirement from the International cricket.
2) Indian Navy to Host Bilateral Exercise ‘Varuna’ with French Navy
The Indian Navy and the French Navy have conducted bilateral maritime exercises since May 1993.
3) 1st G20 Ministerial Meeting Held in Argentina
The first G20 meeting of finance ministers and central bank governors began in Buenos Aires, Argentina with the presence of 57 delegations from countries and institutions.
4) Myanmar President Htin Kyaw Resigns
Myanmar’s President and Aung San Suu Kyi’s right-hand man Htin Kyaw stepped down after two years in the position.
5) Vladimir Putin Wins Historic 4th Term as Russian President
Russian President Vladimir Putin stormed to victory in presidential election, giving him another six years in power. Putin, who has ruled Russia for almost two decades, won more than 75% of the vote according to preliminary results.
6) WHO Member-Countries Commit to End TB by 2030
Member-countries of the World Health Organisation (WHO) South-East Asia Region, including India, committed to intensifying efforts to eradicate tuberculosis by 2030.
7) World Happiness Report 2018: India Ranks 133rd, Finland Tops
The World Happiness Report is a landmark survey of the state of global happiness. The World Happiness Report 2018, ranks 156 countries by their happiness levels, and 117 countries by the happiness of their immigrants.
Burundi in east Africa is the unhappiest place in the world.
8) Angela Merkel Elected to 4th Term as German Chancellor
9) World Bank Projects India’s GDP Growth at 7.3% for 2018-19
The World Bank has projected India’s GDP growth at 7.3% for 2018-19 and accelerates further to 7.5% in 2019-20
4th week of march
1) Madhya Pradesh has the highest number of tribal habitations in the country
Madhya Pradesh has the highest number of 55770 fully covered tribal habitations with the safe drinking water in the country followed by Odisha and Jharkhand.
2) Google Acquires GIF Search Platform Tenor
Technology giant Google has acquired US-based *Tenor*, a GIF platform for Android, iOS, and desktop.
3) India Becomes 4th Largest Auto Market in the World
India has overtaken Germany to become the fourth largest automobile market in the world, According to the latest global data. Automobile sales, including passenger and commercial vehicles, in Asia’s third-largest economy, grew 9.5%.
The top 5 countries on the list are-
4) India Becomes 3rd Largest Electricity Producer in the World
India has become the 3rd largest electricity producer in the world as its electricity production grew 34% over seven years to 2017. The country now produces more energy than Japan and Russia, which had 27% and 8.77% more electricity generation capacity installed, respectively, than India seven years ago.
5) Sebastian Vettel Wins Australian Grand Prix
Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) won a dramatic Australian Grand Prix after leapfrogging Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) during a safety car period.
6) Balesh Sharma Named CEO of Vodafone-Idea India Merged Entity.
7) PV Sindhu to be India’s Flag-Bearer at 2018 Common Wealth Games
8)India successfully launches GSAT-6A communication satellite
ISRO successfully launched the GSLV-F08 carrying the GSAT6A communication satellite from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh. Today’s launch adds another feather in ISRO’s cap as it is mastering the technique of making home-made communication satellites. The GSAT-6A satellite will be put into orbit around 17 minutes after the rocket’s liftoff
Dr. K Sivan is Chairman of ISRO.
ISRO stands for Indian Space Research Organization.
Headquarters of ISRO- Bengaluru.
9) Canadian Mathematician Robert Langlands Wins Abel Prize
Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands won the prestigious Abel Prize for developing a programme connecting representation theory to number theory. The programme has enlisted hundreds of the world’s best mathematicians over the last 50 years.
10) World Water day: 22 March