1) PM Modi Inaugurated 40-Acre National War Memorial in New Delhi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated a new National War Memorial, situated in the India Gate complex in New Delhi, to the nation. He lit the flame positioned at the bottom of the stone obelisk to pay homage to the soldiers who died in the line of duty.
The National War Memorial, spread over 40 acres in the India Gate complex behind the canopy, is dedicated to soldiers killed during the Indo-China War in 1962, Indo-Pak Wars in 1947, 1965 and 1971, Indian Peace Keeping Force Operations in Sri Lanka and in the Kargil Conflict in 1999, and also those in the UN peacekeeping missions.
2) President Conferred ‘Gandhi Peace Prize’
For 2018: *Japan’s Yohei Sasakawa* for his contribution in Leprosy Eradication in India and across the world.
3) National Science Day: 28 February
National Science Day is celebrated across India on February 28. Famous Indian scientist Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman or CV Raman discovered the Raman Effect on this day in 1928. For his discovery, Sir CV Raman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930.
4) Mukesh Ambani World’s 8th Richest With Net Worth Of $54 bn
With a net worth of $54 billion, Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani has broken into the global top 10 richest billionaire list compiled by Hurun Research. The Hurun Global Rich List 2019 is topped by Amazon chief Jeff Bezos for the second year in a row, while the senior Ambani is placed 8th with a network of Rs 3.83 trillion. Ambani is the only Asian among the top 10.
5) HRD Ministry Launches SHREYAS Scheme
Union minister Prakash Javadekar launched ‘Scheme for Higher Education Youth in Apprenticeship and Skills’ (SHREYAS) for providing industry apprenticeship opportunities to fresh graduates.
6) Manu Bhaker, Saurabh Chaudhary Win Gold In 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team
Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary clinched the gold medal in the 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team event at the ISSF World Cup in New Delhi.
7) Gram Samridhi Yojana: New Scheme To Help Unorganised Food Processing Sector
Gram Samridhi Yojana, a Rs 3,000 crore scheme funded by the World Bank and the Government of India, is being worked upon by the Ministry of Food Processing Industries in order to strengthen the unorganised food processing sector concentrated in rural areas.
NITI Aayog has given its approval to the scheme. World Bank will be giving Rs 1,500 crore, Rs 1,000 crore will be borne by the Centre while state governments will put in Rs 500 crore. The scheme will be run in Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Punjab for a 5-year period in the initial phase and thereafter in other states of the country.
8) India Signs Deal With Russian Firm To Produce 7.5 Lakh AK-203 Rifles
India has signed a deal with a Russian firm to manufacture 7.5 lakh AK-203 rifles. These are the latest derivative of the AK-47 rifles. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman stated that the AK-203 rifles will be produced at the Indian Ordnance Factory at Amethi’s Korwa.
9) Roger Federer Claims 100th ATP Title Of His Career
Roger Federer has claimed the 100th ATP title of his career after beating 20-year-old Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas in the final of the Dubai Tennis Championships. The 20-time grand slam champion is the second man, after American Jimmy Connors to claim 100 titles.
10) Chris Gayle Becomes First Player To Smash 500 Sixes In International Cricket
West Indies opener Chris Gayle has become the first batsman ever to smash 500 or more sixes in international cricket.
11) International Women’s Day: 08th March
12) Government announces new Rs 20 coin
The Centre has announced a new Rs 20 coin which will come in 12-edged polygon (dodecagon) shape.
13) President Ram Nath Kovind has presented Swachh Survekhshan-2019 Awards in New Delhi. *Indore* bagged award for the cleanest city for third straight year in Swachh Survekshan.
14) Tech giant Google has unveiled a new app ‘Bolo’ that aims to help children in primary school learn to read in Hindi and English.
15) Kylie Jenner becomes world’s youngest self-made billionaire
Kylie Jenner was named the youngest self-made billionaire of all time by Forbes magazine, thanks to the booming cosmetics company (kylie cosmetics) she founded three years ago.
16) Tata Steel Recognized As One Of World’s Most Ethical Companies
Tata Steel has received the award as one of the 2019 World’s Most Ethical Companies. The award has been given by Ethisphere Institute,USA.
17) NCLT Clears Arcelor Mittal’s Rs 42,000-crore Bid To Take Over Essar Steel
The Ahmedabad bench of the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT)has approved the Rs 42,000-crore resolution plan submitted by ArcelorMittal for the debt-ridden Essar Steel Ltd
18) Madhya Pradesh Government Increases Reservation Quota of OBCs to 27%
The Madhya Pradesh government issued an ordinance increasing reservation quota for the Other Backward Classes (OBC) to 27% from the current 14%.
19) In a 1st, SBI Links Interest On Most Savings Account Deposits To RBI Repo Rate
State Bank of India has become the first domestic bank to link the interest rate it offers on savings account deposits to an external benchmark — the Reserve Bank of India’s repo rate. By doing so, the bank will effectively link all loan rates to an external benchmark either directly or indirectly, thereby attempting to speed up the transmission of any changes in the benchmark monetary policy rate to depositors and borrowers.
20) Lok Sabha Elections 2019: Polls to be held in 7 phases, starting April 11
Lok Sabha 2019 elections start from April 11, in seven phases, says Election Commission. Code of Conduct for parties kicks in from 10th March and there are close to 90 crore eligible voters. Date of counting will be on the 23rd of May 2019.
21) Google Launches Reading Tutor App ‘Bolo’ For Kids in India
Google launched a free app called “Bolo” that parents can download to help primary grade children improve their Hindi and English reading skills.
22) Scientist Ajit Kumar Mohanty Appointed Bhabha Atomic Research Centre Chief
Distinguished scientist Ajit Kumar Mohanty was on appointed Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), the country’s premier multi-disciplinary nuclear research facility.
23) Subhash Chandra Garg Appointed As Finance Secretary
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved designating Shri Subhash Chandra Garg, lAS, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance as Finance Secretary.
24) India To Host U-17 Women’s Football World Cup In 2020
India will host the Under-17 Women’s Football World Cup in 2020. This was announced by the President of International Football Federation (FIFA) Gianni Infantino after the council meeting in Miami, USA. This will be the second FIFA tournament India will be hosting, after the U-17 Men’s World Cup in 2017.
25) Vienna Topped The Mercer’s Quality Of Living Survey 2019
The human resource consulting firm, Mercer’s annual Quality of Living Survey 2019 has placed Austria’s capital city Vienna at the number 1 spot, making it the 10th year in a row.
26) RBI Categorises IDBI Bank as Private Sector Lender
As per RBI notification, IDBI Bank has been categorized as a private sector lender following the acquisition of majority stake by Life Insurance Corporation. IDBI Bank has been under the prompt corrective action framework of RBI that bans it from corporate lending and branch expansions, salary hikes and other regular activities.
27) India Ranks 11th In Gold Holding: WGC Report
India, which is the world’s largest consumer of gold, has the 11th largest gold reserve, with the current holding pegged at 607 tonnes, as per the latest report by the World Gold Council (WGC).
The top spot is occupied by the US with gold reserves of 8,133.5 tonnes, followed by Germany with 3,369.7 tonnes.
28) HDFC Bank Becomes 3rd Indian Firm To Cross Rs6 trillion Market Cap
HDFC Bank Ltd crossed the Rs6 trillion market capitalization mark for the first time, making it only the third Indian firm—after Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) and Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL)—to achieve the milestone. RIL is the most valued company in India with a market cap of Rs 8.50 trillion, followed by TCS at Rs 7.48 trillion.
29) India Now 2nd Largest Arms Importer In The World; Saudi On Top: SIPRI Report
India is the second largest importer of weapons in the world, as per the annual report ‘Trends in International Arms Transfers-2018’ released by the think tank Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI). Saudi Arabia is now the world’s largest weapons importer.
30) Goa CM Manohar Parrikar Passes Away
Manohar Parrikar, Goa Chief Minister and former defence minister, has passed away at the age of 63 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Parrikar was diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer in February 2018. He was an *IIT Mumbai* graduate in metallurgical engineering and among the first members of BJP in Goa.
31) RBI Names SBI, ICICI and HDFC As Systemically Important Banks
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) named State Bank of India (SBI), ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank as Domestic Systemically Important Banks (D-SIBs), which in other words mean banks that are too big to fail.
32) SBI Launches Cardless ATM Withdrawal With YONO Cash
The State Bank of India has launched a new service called ‘YONO Cash’for its customers using which customers can withdraw money from ATMs without using debit cards.
This facility is available over 16,500 of its ATMs through the You Only Need One (YONO), mobile app platform for the first time in the country. The ATMs enabled for this service will be called as YONO Cash Point.
33) Tata, Reliance And Airtel Emerge Best Indian Brands Of 2019
Tata, Reliance, and Airtel emerged as the top three Indian brands of 2019, according to a report published by Interbrand, part of the Omnicom Media Group. Tata continued to hold the top position in the best Indian Brands ranking as its brand value grew by 6%, mainly due to Tata Consultancy Services (TCS). Knocking Airtel off from the 2nd spot, Reliance’s brand value grew by 12%, bolstered by the success of Jio. Airtel stood at number 3.
34) Pramod Sawant Sworn In As Goa Chief Minister
Pramod Sawant (45), former Speaker of Goa legislative Assembly and MLA from Sankhelim in North Goa was sworn-in as 11th Chief Minister of Goa, succeeding Manohar Parrikar, who died after a prolonged battle with advanced pancreatic cancer.
35) Indo-Sri Lanka Joint Exercise Mitra shakti-VI To Be Held in Sri Lanka
36) Mathematician Karen Uhlenbeck becomes 1st Woman To Win Abel Prize
University of Texas professor Karen Uhlenbeck has become the first woman to win the Abel Prize, a mathematics honour first given in 2003.The 76-year-old was awarded for the impact of her work on “analysis, geometry and mathematical physics”.
37) Kazakhstan Renames Its Capital Astana To Nursultan
Kazakhstan has renamed its capital Astana to Nursultan to honor outgoing leader Nursultan Nazarbayev. Mr. Nazarbayev, 78, served nearly 30 years as president of the nation.
38) World Water Day: 22 March
International World Water Day is held annually on 22 March as a means of focusing attention on the importance of freshwater and advocating for the sustainable management of freshwater resources.
39) World Happiness Report Released, India Ranks 140th
The World Happiness Report was released by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network for the United Nations on March 20, the International Day of Happiness. India is ranked 140th out of 156 nations. India shows a 7 spot decline.
For the second consecutive year, Finland topped the list.
40) President Administers Oath Of Office to Justice PC Ghose As Lokpal Chief
President Ram Nath Kovind administered the oath of office to Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose as the country’s first Lokpal. The oath was administered at a ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
41) Vice Admiral Karambir Singh To Take Over As Next Chief of Naval Staff
The Government of India has appointed Vice Admiral Karambir Singh,presently Flag Officer Commander-in-Chief (FOC-in-C) Eastern Naval Command as next Chief of the Naval Staff with effect from May 31, 2019. The present Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba retires on the same day.
42) Chinook Helicopters Inducted In Indian Air Force
The Indian Air Force formally inducted the CH 47 F(I)- Chinook heavy-lift helicopters into its inventory at Air Force Station Chandigarh. IAF had signed a contract with M/s Boeing Ltd in September 2015 for 15 Chinook helicopters.
The first batch of four helicopters has been delivered on schedule and the last batch is to be delivered by March 2020
43) RBI Appoints 5 Member Committee To Deepen Digital Payments
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has appointed 5-member committee under the chairmanship of Nandan Nilekani to strengthen digital payments as well as to boost financial inclusion through Financial Technology.
44) Naresh Goyal Steps Down From Jet Airways Board
Jet Airways Founders Naresh Goyal and wife Anita Goyal have stepped down from the board of the cash-strapped airline. With this, Naresh Goyal ceases to be Chairman. Another director Kevin Knight has also resigned. The board has accepted their resignations
45) Suresh Raina 1st Cricketer To Score 5,000 Runs in IPL
Chennai Super Kings’ Suresh Raina has become the first ever cricketer to reach 5,000 runs in Indian Premier League.
46) Book Titled ‘Every Vote Counts’ of Navin Chawla Launched
Former Vice-President Hamid Ansari launched the book titled ‘Every Vote Counts-The Story of India’s Elections’. The author of this book is former Chief Election Commissioner Navin Chawla.
47) 64th filmfare awards 2019
Best Film: Raazi
Best Actor in a Leading Role (Female): Alia Bhatt, Raazi
Best Actor in a Leading Role (Male): Ranbir Kapoor, Sanju
Best Director: Meghna Gulzar, Raazi
48) India Ranks 76th On WEF Global Energy Transition Index
India has moved up 2 places to rank 76th on a global energy transition index. The annual list, compiled by Geneva-based World Economic Forum (WEF), has ranked 115 economies on how well they are able to balance energy security and access with environmental sustainability and affordability.
Sweden remains at the top of list.
49) India, Australia To Hold Bilateral Exercise AUSINDEX In Vishakhapatnam
The third edition of the biennial, bilateral exercise AUSINDEX 19 between India and Australia will be held in Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
Remember this AUSINDEX= AUS+IND+EX= Australia+India+exercise
50) GI Certification For 5 varieties Of Indian Coffee
The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India has recently awarded Geographical Indication (GI) to five varieties of Indian coffee.
Coorg Arabica coffee,Wayanaad Robusta coffee,Chikmagalur Arabica coffee,Araku Valley Arabica coffee,Bababudangiris Arabica coffee.Remember Karnataka is the highest coffee producing state in India.