Update 1st week of Jan
1) Israel Withdraws from UNESCO
Israel has filed notice to withdraw from the UNESCO alongside the United States. Israel has blasted UNESCO in recent years over the organisation’s criticism of Israel’s occupation of East Jerusalem and its decision to grant full membership to Palestine in 2011.
UNESCO HQ: Paris, France
2) Vidarbha Defeats Delhi to win Ranji Trophy for the First Time
Vidarbha have created history by winning the Ranji Trophy 2017-18 for the first time in history with a thumping nine-wicket win over Delhi at the Holkar stadium in Indore.
The Ranji Trophy is a domestic first-class cricket championship played in India between teams representing regional and state cricket associations. The competition currently consists of 28 teams, with 21 of the 29 states in India and Delhi having at least one representation.
3) Vijay Keshav Gokhale has been appointed foreign secretary of India. He has succeeded S Jaishankar.
4) Iceland Becomes 1st Country to Legalise Equal Pay
Iceland has become the first country in the world to legalise equal pay between men and women. In Iceland now it will be illegal to pay men more than women for the work.
Update 2nd week of Jan
1) Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu in India
India and Israel have agreed to enhance co-operation in the areas of agriculture, science and technology and security.
2) WEF Ranks India 30th on Global Manufacturing Index
The World Economic Forum (WEF) has ranked India at 30th position on a global manufacturing index – below China’s 5th place but above other BRICS peers, Brazil, Russia and South Africa.
*Japan has been found to have the best structure of production.*
3) Music composer A R Rahman became the brand ambassador of Sikkim. The declaration was made by Sikkim CM Pawan Kumar Chamling.
4) IDFC Bank, Capital First to merge in Share Swap Deal
IDFC Bank and Capital First has approved a merger of Capital First with IDFC Bank.
5. List of Winners of Golden Globe Awards 2018:
1. Best motion picture, drama: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
2. Best motion picture, musical or comedy: *Lady Bird.*
3. Best director, motion picture: *Guillermo del Toro,* “The Shape of Water”.
4. Best performance by an actress in a motion picture, drama: *Frances McDormand*
5. Best performance by an actor in a motion picture, drama: *Gary Oldman*.
6. Dr Sivan K Appointed New ISRO Chairman
Noted rocket scientist Sivan K was appointed as the 9th chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). He has replaced A.S. Kiran Kumar.
7. Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon has become the richest man in the history, overtaking the wealth Bill Gates ever had to his name, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. The Index showed that Bezos’ net worth had hit USD 105.1 billion.
8. The National Youth Day has been celebrated every year on 12 January. This is the day when Swami Vivekananda, one of the greatest social reformers, thinkers, and philosophers of India, was born.
9. Gujarat Tops Logistics Performance Index Chart: Report
Gujarat has topped the logistics index chart, according to a Report released by Union Minister for Commerce & Industry Suresh Prabhu in New Delhi. The chart is an indicator of the efficiency of logistical services necessary for promoting exports in particular and economic growth in general.
10. World Champion Powerlifter Saksham Yadav Passes Away
Powerlifting world champion Saksham Yadav died of his injuries after road accident near Delhi. He was injured in car accident.
Yadav had won a gold medal for the country in the 2017 powerlifting championship in Moscow, Russia.
3rd week Update
1) Om Prakash Rawat Appointed New Chief Election Commissioner
Election Commissioner Om Prakash Rawat was appointed as the next chief election commissioner (CEC) of India. Mr Rawat is the 22nd CEC of India. He succeeded Achal Kumar Joti.
1st Chief Election Commissioner of Independent India- Sukumar Sen.
2) Anandiben Patel Named New Madhya Pradesh Governor
Former Gujarat chief minister Anandiben Patel has been named as the new governor of Madhya Pradesh.
3) 63rd Film fare Awards 2018
Best film: Hindi Medium
Best actor: Irrfan khan
Best actress: Vidhya Balan
Best actor in supporting role: Rajkumar Rao
4) India Defeats Pakistan to Win Blind Cricket World Cup 2018
5) Mauritius Largest Source of FDI in India- RBI
Mauritius was the largest source of foreign investment in India (21.8 per cent share at market value), followed by the US and the UK, according to a census by the Reserve Bank of India.
6) Famous Cartoonist Chandi Lahiri passed away after a brief period of illness, marking the end of a chapter in Bengal’s history of the cartoon. Lahiri was 86.
7) PM Modi Inaugurates Project Commencement of Rajasthan’s first Oil Refinery in Barmer
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the project commencement of the Rajasthan Refinery at *Pachpadra in Barmer district.* This is the first oil refinery in the state. The 43,000 crore rupee project is a joint venture between HPCL and the Rajasthan government
8) India Test-Fires Nuclear-Capable ICBM Agni-V
India test-fired its nuclear-capable Agni-V inter-continental ballistic missile (ICBM), which has a strike range of over 5,000km. It was test fired successfully from Abdul Kalam island off the coast of the eastern state of Odisha.
9) The Complete list of Winners of ICC Award 2017-
1. Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Year – Virat Kohli (India)
2. ICC Men’s Test Cricketer of the Year – Steve Smith (Australia)
3. ICC Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year – Virat Kohli (India)
4. ICC Men’s Emerging Cricketer of the Year – Hasan Ali (Pakistan)
5. ICC Men’s Associate Cricketer of the Year – Rashid Khan (Afghanistan)
6. ICC Men’s T20I Performance of the Year – Yuzvendra Chahal (6-25 v England) (India)
10) HDFC Bank Becomes 1st Indian Bank to Cross Rs5 trillion Market Capitalisation
A. HDFC Bank- India’s largest private bank by market capitalization.
B. HDFC Bank Chairman- Aditya Puri.
C. Reserve Bank of India labelled HDFC Bank as ‘domestic systematically important bank’—in other words, ‘too big to fail’.
Update 4th week
1) Indian Navy launched ‘INS Karanj’, the third of the six indigenous Scorpene-class submarines.
The first Scorpene-class submarine was INS Kalvari.
The second Scorpene-class submarine was INS Khanderi.
2) Google has introduced a new app named “Bulletin” that allows anybody to submit stories for and about their communities.
Google CEO- Sundar Pichai,
Parent organization- Alphabet Inc,
Headquarters- The USA.
3) India has been ranked sixth in the list of wealthiest countries with the total wealth of 8,230 billion US dollars.
The list was topped by the United States of America, according to a report by New World Wealth.
Top 3 countries: USA, China and Japan
4) Bollywood playback singer Asha Bhosle will be given the ‘Yash Chopra Memorial Award’.
She will be the fifth winner of the award.
5) the 60th Grammy Awards
Album Of The Year: Bruno Mars
Song of the Year: Bruno Mars’, That’s What I Like
6) Australian Open 2018
Men’s Singles: Roger Federer (Switzerland)
Women’s Singles: Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark)
It was 20th grand slams of Federer.
7) Usha Ananthasubramanian, MD and CEO, Allahabad Bank, has been elected the first woman chairman of Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
8) The Country celebrates its 69th Republic Day on 26th January in Rajpath, New Delhi to be resplendently displaying the country’s pride and glory. Heads of ten ASEAN countries are chief guests at Republic Day.
9) India Ranks 81st On Global Talent Competitiveness Index
India has moved up on a global index of talent competitiveness to the 81st position in the report that was released in the first day the 48th World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland.
Switzerland has topped the list.
10) ONGC acquires 51.11% stake in HPCL.
11) Reliance Industries (RIL) become the 1st Indian company to cross the Rs. 6 lakh crore mark in market capitalisation.
12) S Somanath takes charge as Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre’s Director.
It is ISRO’s lead centre for launch vehicle.