1) Sikkim became India’s first fully organic state in 2016.
Organic cultivation is free of chemical pesticides and chemical fertilisers to maintain a balance with ecosystems.
2) Government’s online payments app, BHIM is now the number one free app on Google Play Store. The app was launched by PM Modi to simplify digital payments.
BHIM which stands for Bharat Interface for Money is named after Dr BR Ambedkar.
3) United Nations declares 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development
4) Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar sworn-in as 44th Chief Justice of India
5) Veteran Indian actor OM Puri Passed away due to heart attack.
6) Pakistan has passed Hindu marriage bill.
The bill will enable the Hindu community members to get their marriages registered.
1. Jallikattu Row:- It is a bull taming or bull vaulting sport played in Tamil Nadu on Mattu Pongal day as a part of Pongal celebrations i.e. harvest festival. It is one of the oldest living ancient tradition practiced in the modern era. It was banned by supreme court in 2014.
2. The National Youth Day : 12 January
To mark the birth anniversary of social reformer, philosopher and thinker Swami Vivekananda.
3. Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo was named the world’s best player for the year 2016 at the inaugural Best FIFA Football Awards held in Zurich, Switzerland.
4. Sex ratio in Haryana touches 900-mark for first time in 20 years.
5. 74th Golden Globe Awards
The Golden Globe Awards are the annual awards that honour the best in Motion Pictures and American Television for the previous year.
Best Motion Picture Drama: Moonlight. Best Motion Picture Musical/Comedy: La La Land.
6. 14th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas begins in Bengaluru
7. India’ s first payment bank: Airtel payment bank is launched and now functional in India.
8. New Tata Son’s chairman: N chandrasekaran
9. Kalyan krishnMurthy is the New CEO of flipkart.
1. India’s First Madame Tussauds Museum To Open In Delhi. It will be 23rd branch of well known museum.
P.S. Madame Tussauds is a wax museum Based in London and has branches in number of cities.
It displays waxworks of famous people.
2. 62th Filmfare awards 2017
Best actor: Aamir khan (for dangal)
Best actress: Alia bhatt ( for udta punjab)
Best director: Nitesh Tiwari ( for dangal)
Best film: Dangal
Lifetime Achievement Award: Shatrughan Sinha
3. Delhi Police Chief Alok Verma has been appointed as new director of Central Bureau Of Investigation ( CBI ).
4. Pro wrestling League season 2
Winner: Punjab royals
Runner up: Haryana Hammers
5. Bengaluru ranked world’s most dynamic city as per JLL index.
The index tracks the speed of change of a city’ economy and commercial real estate market.
6. Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of United State of America.
First lady of USA: Melania Trump
New vice president: Mike Pence
New secretary of state: Rex Tillerson (ExxonMobil CEO)
The tenure of USA President is for 4 years.
7. Hong Kong withdraws visa-free facility for Indians.
1) IIM will offer degrees now.
Government has approved IIM bill 2017 to allow IIMs give degrees instead of diplomas.
2) US President Donald Trump signs executive order to pull US out of TPP.
TPP: Trans pacific partnership is a trade agreement under negotiation among 12 Pacific Rim nations accounting for 40% of the world economy. It was promoted by US and signed by 12 countries in 2015.
3) Tamil Nadu Assembly unanimously passes Jallikattu Bill
4) Australian open 2017
Men’s singles winner is roger federer and women’s singles winner is Serena Williams
5) US President Trump has signed an executive order to temporarily ban Visas for refuges belonging to 7 muslim majority countries Iran Iraq libya somalia sudan syria and yemen.
6) Supreme court appoints Former CAG cheif Vinod Rai as BCCI chief.
7) Indiapost has become 3rd entity to receive a final license last week from the RBI to start its payment bank operations after Bharti airtel and Paytm.