- As per the National Sample Survey Office’s (NSSO’s) periodic labor force survey (PLFS) India’s unemployment rate hit a 45 year high of 6.1% in 2017-18.
It is the first comprehensive survey on employment conducted by a government agency after demonetization. Unemployment is higher in urban areas which is 7.8% as compared to 5.3% in rural areas of the country.
The unemployment rate is at its highest level as in 1972-73. The rate of jobless rural males rose to 17.4% from 5% and among rural jobless females, the rate became 13.6% from 4.8%.
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) signed a five-year global partnership deal with beverage manufacturer Coca-Cola Company.
ICC and Coco-cola’s partnership will be continue till 2023. Five years sponsorship includes all ICC events like the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019 in England, Wales, the ICC men ‘s and women’ s T20 World Cups in Australia in 2020, the ICC Women’s World Cup 2021 in New Zealand and the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup in India in 2023. ICC also signed sponsorship with Alcobev brands, Royal Stag and Bira 91.
- The Union Minister Piyush Goyal announced various schemes in the Interim Union Budget 2019-20 on February 1, 2019. Government announced fixed yearly income for small and marginal farmers under Pradhanmantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana.
This scheme will benefit about 12 crore farmers who have 2 Hectare land. Rupee 6000 per year direct cash transfer in their account.
Cash transfer will be given in three equal installments of Rs 2000 each. The benefit under this yojana will be given retrospectively from December 2018. Rs. 75000 crore allotted for this scheme. It is expected to double the farmers income.
- Noida based digital payments company Paytm acquired the Noida-based last-minute hotel booking app, NightStay. The “NightStay” founder Nasr Khan will lead the hotel-booking services at Paytm. Paytm planned to invest 70 million for its growth in the travel segment.
- 36 years old India’s Women Cricket team captain, Mithali Raj became the first female player to play 200 ODIs during the 3rd and Final ODI against New Zealand. Mithali Raj has played in 200 out of 263 ODI matches that India have played till now.
Mithali Raj has also scored highest runs in ODIs which is 6622 at an average of 51.33 including 7 centuries. She also holds the longest international career among all female players and She has the fourth longest career only behind India’s Sachind Tendulkar, Sri Lanka’s Sanath Jayasuriya and Pakistan’s Miandad if we include Men’s teams also.
- Global watchdog Transparency International (TI) has recently released 2018 Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI), which ranks 180 countries and territories by their perceived levels of public sector corruption according to experts and businesspeople. The index uses a scale of 0 to 100, where 0 is highly corrupt and 100 is very clean. Here, India has improved its ranking and jumped three positions to 78th with a CPI score of 41 at the 2018 index.
- On February 2, 2019, Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh declared one of the rarest mammal, Indus River Dolphin, which is only found in Beas River ,as Punjab State Aquatic Animal.
- The government has appointed P.V. Bharathi as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Corporation Bank. Earlier she has served as the Executive Director of Canara Bank.
- President’s rule is the suspension of state government and imposition of direct Central Government rule in a state. It is Under Article 356 of the Constitution of India.
- Vidharbha lifted the Ranji Trophy for the second time in a row, after defeating Saurashtra by 78 runs in the final match of the 2018-19 season held at Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Nagpur. With this, Vidarbha has become only the 6th team in the tournament’s long history to have defended the title.
- Macedonia signed an accord to join NATO to become the 30th member of the NATO military alliance. The historic agreement was signed between Macedonia’s Foreign Minister Nikola Dimitrov and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg.
- The Jammu & Kashmir Government on Friday declared Ladakh as the third administrative division of the state.
An order issued by Governor Satya Pal Malik’s administration said, “The Government has approved the creation of a separated administrative/revenue division of Ladakh”.
The division will comprise Leh and Kargil districts, with Leh as the division’s headquarters About Ladakh Ladakh is one of the most sparsely populated regions in Jammu & Kashmir and the highest plateau in the state, most of it being over 9.800 ft above sea level. The region is geographically isolated and remains landlocked for nearly 6 months in a year.
- The Abu Dhabi Judicial Department (ADJD) has decided to include Hindi as the third official language used in its courts, alongside Arabic and English, as part of a move designed to improve access to justice.
The move will help the Hindi speakers to learn about litigation procedures, their rights and duties without a language barrier.
It is an estimated that 3.3 million Indian expats live in United Arab Emirates (UAE), and a large number of them are blue collared workers.
Hence, this is an excellent step taken by Abu Dhabi that will certainly improve access to justice for India’s blue collar workers.
- Siddhartha Lal, managing director and chief executive officer, Eicher Motors, has been awarded the EY Entrepreneur of the Year for 2018.
Lal will now represent India at the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year Award (WEOY) in Monte Carlo from 6 – 8 June 2019. And Business Transformation: Kishore Biyani, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Future Group.
- Bradley Cooper awarded the ‘Oscat’ by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). The animal rights organisation awarded Cooper for his enlightened decision to cast his own canine companion in ‘A Star Is Born’ rather than using one supplied by a notorious animal exhibitor.
- A book ‘Simplicity & Wisdom’ written by Dinesh Shahra was launched at Parmarth Ashram in Kumbh Mela. Launched by the Governor of West Bengal- Keshari Nath Tripathi and Swami Chidanand Saraswati, Head of Parmarth Ashram, this book is dedicated to Late Vedanti Swami Pragananandji. The book aims at guiding towards saintly wisdom and leading a content and happy life.
- In badminton, Saina Nehwal won her fourth title at the Yonex-Sunrise 83rd Senior National Badminton Championships 2019 in Guwahati. In the final, she defeated P.V.Sindhu by 21-18, 21-15 in Guwahati.
Its her fourth title. Sourabh Verma completed a hat-trick of titles, claiming the men’s singles crown after defeating young Lakshya Sen in straight games of 21-18, 21-13.
Earlier, the pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Chirag Shetty outclassed top seed duo Arjun M.R and Shlok Ramachandran in straight games of 21-13, 22-20 to clinch the Men’s Doubles title.
- The Laureus World Sports Award for Sportsman of the Year is an annual award honoring the achievements of individual men from the world of sports.
It was first awarded in 2000 as one of the seven constituent awards presented during the Laureus World Sports Awards. Novak Djokovic was named World Sportsman of the Year and United State gymnast Simone Biles was named Sportswoman of the Year at the 2019 Laureus World Sports Awards, while Tiger Woods won the World Comeback of the Year award.
- Chinese news agency Xinhua unveiled the world’s first female AI news anchor Xin Xiaomeng.
She has been developed in collaboration with Sogou Inc, a search engine company. Earlier, Xinhua also developed Qiu Hao, the world’s first male AI news anchor at the World Internet Conference in Wuzhen held in November 2018, who is capable of mimicking human facial expressions and mannerisms while reading out news-reports.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi was conferred with the Seoul Peace Prize during his two-day visit to South Korea. The award was first announced by the Seoul Peace Prize Cultural Foundation in October 2018. Former Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Annan and German Chancellor Angela Merkel are among previous recipients of the award.
- Mexico’s “Roma” is the winner of the best foreign language film at the Oscars.
- India-based ‘Period. End of Sentence.’ has won the Oscar 2019 for Best Documentary Short Subject at the 91st Academy Awards.
- PepsiCo’s India-born former CEO Indra Nooyi has joined Amazon’s board of directors, the online retail giant. Starbucks executive Rosalind Brewer has also joined the Amazon Board. Ms. Nooyi will be a member of the audit committee. She was Pepsico CEO from October 2006 to October 2018, where she also served as the Chairman of its board of directors from May 2007 to February 2019.
- An American biographical comedy-drama film “Green Book” has won the Best Picture at 91st Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles on 25th February 2019.
- Afghanistan formally launched shipping goods to India through the Chabahar port in Iran. The first shipment of 570 tonnes comprising of dried fruits, textiles, carpets, and other goods in 23 trucks was inaugurated by Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. With the opening of the Chabahar route, Afghanistan’s exports will double to $2 billion from the current $1 billion over the next one year. About Chabahar Port: Chabahar Port development is the India-Iran joint venture project. Inaugurated in 2017 and been built largely by India. This port provides a critical transport link from New Delhi to Afghanistan, bypassing Pakistan, to trade with Central Asia.
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the Gandhi Peace Prize for 2015, 16, 17 and 18 at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
The award comprises a cash award of one crore rupees, a citation in a scroll, a plaque and a traditional handicraft item.
Japan’s Yohei Sasakawa was conferred with the Gandhi Peace Prize for 2018 for his contribution in Leprosy Eradication in India and across the world.
For 2015: Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari was given the award for its contribution in Rural Development, Education and Development of natural resources.
For 2016: Jointly to Akshaya Patra Foundation for its contribution in providing mid-day meals to millions of children across India and Sulabh International for its contribution in improving the condition of sanitation in India and emancipation of manual scavengers. And
For 2017: Ekal Abhiyan Trust for its contribution in providing Education for Rural and Tribal Children in remote areas pan India, Rural Empowerment, Gender, and Social Equality.
- National Science Day is celebrated across India on February 28.
Famous Indian scientist Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman or CV Raman discovered the Raman Effect on this day in 1928. For his discovery, Sir CV Raman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930.
In honour of this discovery and as a mark of tribute to the scientist, National Science Day was marked for the first time on February 28, 1987.
This year the theme for the National Science Day is ‘Science for people and people for science’.
- With a net worth of $54 billion, Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani has broken into the global top 10 richest billionaire list compiled by Hurun Research. The Hurun Global Rich List 2019 is topped by Amazon chief Jeff Bezos for the second year in a row, while the senior Ambani is placed 8th with a network of Rs 3.83 trillion. Ambani is the only Asian among the top 10.