Update 1st week of Feb
1) Kia motors officially launches its brand in India.
Kia Motor Corporation, headquartered in Seoul, is South Korea’s second-largest automobile manufacturer, following the Hyundai Motor Company.
2) The US-based SpaceX has successfully launched the world’s most powerful operational rocket *Falcon Heavy towards Mars*. The rocket, carrying a Tesla Roadster car, will revolve around the Sun in a way that will repeatedly bring it close to the Earth and Mars.
3) Jerome H Powell Sworn in as 16th Chairman of Federal Reserve
Mr Powell has succeeded Janet Yellen, the first woman to lead the US central bank in its 100-year history.
4) ‘Exam Warriors’- A Book Penned Down by PM Modi Released
5) India Open 2018
India Open is a badminton event held annually at the Siri Fort Sports Complex, New Delhi.
In women’s singles Defending champion P V Sindhu was defeated by American Beiwen Zhang to finish runner-up at the India Open Super 500 tournament.
6) Indian cricketers Jasprit Bumrah and Harmanpreet Kaur as well India women’s hockey team goalkeeper Savita Punia and shooter Heena Sidhu are among Forbes India 30 Under 30 list.
7) India Lifts U-19 Cricket World Cup 2018
India has defeated Australia to lift the Under 19 World cup for the fourth time. The Men in Blue defeated the three-time champions Australia at Bay Oval, New Zealand.
Manjot Kalra was declared Man of the Match.
Shubman Gill was declared Player of the Tournament.
8) John Hennessy Appointed Alphabet’s New Board Chairman
He has replaced Eric Schmidt.
Alphabet Inc. is the US-based company.It is the parent company of Google.
9) Jhulan Goswami 1st Woman in the World to Take 200 ODI Wickets
10) The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved to enhance target base of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) from 5 crore to 8 crore.
Update 2nd week of February
1) Prime Minister Narendra Modi had left for his three-nation visit to Palestine, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Oman.
This is the first ever visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Palestine, and Prime Minister Modi’s second visit to UAE and first to Oman.
2) India Ranks 44th in Global Intellectual Property Index, US Tops
India has increased “substantially” its score in the International Intellectual Property (IP) Index, ranking 44th among 50 nations, according to the US Chambers of Commerce report. Last year, India ranked 43rd out of 45 countries in the Index.
The top 3 countries in the list are-
The USA.The United Kingdom.Sweden.
3) PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi Becomes ICC’s 1st Independent Female Director
PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi has been appointed as the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) first-ever independent female director. Nooyi will join the cricket body in June 2018 for a 2-year term.
4) Winter Olympic Games Starts in Pyeongchang, South Korea
The 23rd Olympic Winter Games officially kicked off with a colorful ceremony at Pyeongchang in South Korea. Ninety-two countries are participating in the event. There will be 102 medals up for grabs in Pyeongchang, covering seven sports and 15 disciplines.
5) NITI Aayog Releases Nation-Wide Healthy State Report
NITI Aayog has released the ‘Healthy States, Progressive India Report’. Kerala, Punjab and Tamil Nadu have ranked top among the larger states in terms of overall performance. The report was released by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant.
6) Mumbai 12th Richest City Globally, New York Tops: New World Wealth Report
Mumbai, India’s financial capital is the 12th richest city in the world with a total wealth of $950 billion, according to a report by New World Wealth. The list was topped by New York as the richest city in the world.
7) Radio Umang: India’s 1st Online Radio Station Launched
India’s 1st Online Radio Station ‘Radio Umang’ was launched recently in India. Listeners can tune in to this online radio station through web streaming or download the app.
With 24 hours programming, it has found listeners in Hindi speaking regions of India and in over 60 countries worldwide.
8) West Bengal Becomes First State to Opt Out of ‘Modicare’
Claiming that the Bengal government had already enrolled 50 lakh people under its own Swasthya Sathi programme, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has announced the decision to opt out of Centre’s ‘Modicare’ scheme.
This makes West Bengal the first state to withdraw from the ambitious programme. Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had announced the NHPS on February 1, making it the biggest global plan to provide quality health cover to a population larger than the combined citizenry of the US, UK, Germany and France.
NHPS: National Health Protection Scheme
Update 3rd week of February
1) Cyril Ramaphosa sworn in as new President of South Africa
Cyril Ramaphosa, head of the ruling African National Congress (ANC) has been sworn in as South Africa’s new President. He was elected as the new president of South Africa by the ruling party politicians after the resignation of Jacob Zuma.
2) K.P. Sharma Oli Appointed as Nepal’s New PM
K.P. Sharma Oli was sworn in as Nepal’s Prime Minister for the second time, weeks after his Left alliance with the Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist (CPN-Maoist) swept the parliamentary polls. He has replaced Sher Bahadur Deuba.
3) Sanjiv Bajaj Named EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2017
Business consultancy firm EY has named Bajaj Finserv’s Sanjiv Bajaj as the entrepreneur for 2017. Sanjiv Bajaj will now represent India at the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year award (WEOY) in Monte Carlo.
The company also conferred E. Sreedharan, who spearheaded metro projects in Delhi, Kolkata, Kochi, and Lucknow, with the lifetime achievement award. The awardees were selected by a nine-member jury led by Sun Pharmaceuticals’ managing director Dilip Shanghvi.
4) Milkbasket Recognised as ‘Startup of the Year’ 2017
Milkbasket, India’s first and largest micro-delivery platform has been recognised as ‘Startup of the Year’ 2017 at the 7th Small Business Awards held in New Delhi.
The startup of the year award is dedicated to young SMEs, aged 7 years or less, with great potential to become big in local/international markets.
5) Assam Worst in MMR, Spent Just 13.58% of NHM Fund in 2017-18
Assam is at the bottom of the list with regard to maternal mortality rate (MMR) with a figure of 300 against the national average of 167, while the fund spending under National Health Mission (NHM) is just 13.58% for 2017-18.
6) BAFTA Awards 2018:
Best Film: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Best Actor: Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Best Actress: Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
7) Amazon Launches its 1st Food Retail Service in India
Amazon has become the first foreign e-commerce firm to start its own food retail venture in India called Amazon Retail, piloting its services in Pune.
8) India, Indonesia Joint Military Drill ‘Garuda Shakti’ Begins
The Indian and Indonesian armies began the sixth edition of their annual military exercise named ‘Garuda Shakti’ in Bandung, Indonesia. It is a two-week long joint Military drill.
9) Government has constituted Empowered Expert Committee (EEC) to select 20 Institutions of Eminence from among 104 institutions (public or private) that have applied for the status.
The committee will be headed by former Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) N Gopalaswami.
Committee aims to help 20 higher education (10 public and 10 private) institutions from country break into top 500 global rankings in 10 years.
Update 4th week of Feb
1) Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Starts Operations
Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Ltd (ABIPBL) started operations, making it the fifth payments bank to roll out operations. The Reserve Bank has issued a licence to the bank under Section 22 (1) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 to carry on the business of payments bank in India.
The other payments banks that have started operations include Airtel Payments Bank Ltd, India Post Payments Bank Ltd, Paytm Payments Bank Ltd and Fino Payments Bank Ltd.
About payment banks:
Payments banks is a new model of banks conceptualised by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). These banks can accept a restricted deposit, which is currently limited to ₹1 lakh per customer and may be increased further. These banks cannot issue loans and credit cards. Both current account and savings accounts can be operated by such banks. Payments banks can issue services like ATM cards, debit cards, net-banking and mobile-banking. Bharti Airtel set up India’s first live payments bank.
2) Veteran Bollywood actress and Padma Shri awardee Sridevi, who had an illustrious career spanning over four decades, passed away. She was 54. Sridevi was died due to cardiac arrest in Dubai.
Sridevi started her acting career with M. A. Thirumugam’s 1969 devotional film Thunaivan at the age of 4.
Her full name: Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan
3) Aruna Budda Reddy has created history by becoming the first Indian to win an individual medal at the Gymnastics World Cup in Melbourne, Australia. She clinched a Bronze medal in the Women’s Vault.
4) Parupalli Kashyap wins Austrian Open Badminton title.
5) Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully flown its Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle RUSTOM 2.
DRDO is developing within India a medium-altitude long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicle RUSTOM 2. It has the capability to fly for 24 hours at a stretch at over 200 km/hr speed, and can, not only conduct sustained surveillance but will be able to destroy enemy targets.
6) Chilika Lake Largest Habitat of Irrawaddy Dolphins Globally
The Chilika lake in Odisha has emerged as the single largest habitat of Irrawaddy dolphins in the world with the spotting of 155 such animals, according to the Chilika Development Authority (CDA).
7) Roger Federer Becomes Most Decorated Laureus Award Winner
Tennis legend Roger Federer became the most decorated winner in the history of Laureus World Sports Awards after he won twin honours at the 18th edition of the awards ceremony in Monaco. It was his sixth award. The awards include the Sportsman and Comeback titles.
8) National Science Day (NSD) is celebrated every year on 28 February. The theme of NSD-2018 is “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future”.
9) PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018, officially known as the XXIII Olympic Winter Games were held in Pyeongchang, South Korea.The motto of Winter Olympics 2018 was “Passion.Connected”. Soohorang, a white tiger, and Bandabi, an Asiatic black bear were the official mascots for this event.
Top Tally- Top 3 Countries-
10) India has been ranked 81st in the global corruption perception index for 2017, released by Transparency International, which named the country among the “worst offenders” in terms of graft and press freedom in the Asia Pacific region.