#Update 1st week of april
1) Mithali Raj Becomes Most Capped Player in Women’s ODIs
Indian women’s cricket team captain Mithali Raj has become the most capped player in women’s ODI cricket after turning out for the 192nd time against England.
Raj, who is also the highest run-getter in WODIs, overtook former England captain Charlotte Edwards, who had appeared in 191 WODIs. Indian fast bowler Jhulan Goswami is the third-most capped WODI player.
2) Jio Payments Bank Limited Commences Operations
Jio Payments Bank Limited has commenced operations as a payments bank. The Reserve Bank has issued a licence to the bank under Section 22 (1) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 to carry on the business of payments bank in India.
Reliance Industries Limited, Mumbai was one of the 11 applicants which were issued in-principle approval for setting up a payments bank.
3) Commonwealth Games 2018 Starts at Gold Coast in Australia
4) SBI Life Appoints Sanjeev Nautiyal As New MD & CEO
SBI Life Insurance has appointed Sanjeev Nautiyal as its new Managing Director and CEO. He replaces Arijit Basu, who takes over a key role in the State Bank of India Group.
5) CWG 2018: Mirabai Chanu Wins India’s First Gold Medal
Weightlifter and current world champion Mirabai Chanu has clinched India’s first gold medal of the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Mirabai Chanu becomes the first Indian to win a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games 2018.
Chanu is competing in the 48 kg category.
6) Ola Acquires Ticketing App Firm Ridlr
Ride-hailer Ola has acquired Mumbai-based Ridlr, an end-to-end public transport ticketing and commuting app. The acquisition will complement Ola’s efforts to integrate its mobility platform with public transportation infrastructure.
7) Delhi Becomes 1st City to Roll-Out Euro VI Fuel
With an aim to combat the rising levels of air pollution in Delhi-NCR region, petrol pumps in the capital started supplying ultra-clean Bharat Stage VI grade fuel (both petrol and diesel). This move makes New Delhi the first city in the country to switch from BS-IV grade fuels to BS-VI (equivalent to fuel meeting Euro-VI emission norms).
8) Kerala Lifts Their 6th Santosh Trophy
Kerala has lifted their sixth Santosh Trophy Football title. In a thrilling final at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata.
9) India Becomes 2nd Largest Producer of Mobile Phones in the World
India is now the second-largest mobile phone producer in the world after China.
10) The Reserve Bank of India | 83rd Establishment Day
The Reserve Bank of India was established on April 1, 1935, in accordance with the provisions of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934.The Central Office of the Reserve Bank was initially established in Calcutta but was permanently moved to Mumbai in 1937. The Central Office is where the Governor sits and where policies are formulated. Though originally privately owned, since nationalization in 1949, the Reserve Bank is fully owned by the Government of India.
#Update 2nd week of April
1) CWG 2018: Neeraj Chopra, 1st Indian to Win Gold in Javelin Throw
2) CWG 2018: Mary Kom, 1st Indian Woman to Win CWG Boxing Gold
3) Veteran Hindi film actor Shri Vinod Khanna was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for his contribution to Indian Cinema.
4) CWG 2018: Sushil Kumar Wins Gold in Wrestling
Indian wrestler and Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar bagged his third straight Commonwealth Games gold medal after winning the men’s Freestyle 74 kg event.
5) 65th National Film Awards
Best Hindi Film: Newton
Best Actress Award: Late Shridevi
Best actor award: Riddhi Sen
6) India’s Kidambi Srikanth Becomes World No. 1 Badminton Player
Kidambi Srikanth has become the first Indian male badminton player to attain the world number one ranking since Prakash Padukone in the 1980s.
7) Rishad Premji Appointed Nasscom Chairman
Rishad Premji, Board member of Wipro Ltd. has been appointed as the Chairman of the National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) for 2018-19.
8) ‘Gobardhan Yojana’ Launched to Support Farmers
The Haryana government has launched the ‘Gobardhan Yojana’ to provide for the sale of organic manure and cow urine with an aim to benefit farmers. A provision of Rs 11 crore has been made to provide benefits of various projects under this scheme
9) Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Launched in Delhi
Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) scheme in Delhi and distributed new LPG connections and cylinders to beneficiaries.
During the event, about 400 LPG connections were handed over to families belonging to below poverty line category.
Remember these points👇🏻
1. PMUY was launched in May 2016.
2. Objective of this scheme is to provide deposit-free LPG connections with monetary assistance to women from below poverty line (BPL) households.
3. Target under this scheme has been increased from the existing 5 crore connections to 8 crore connections by 2020
#Update 3rd week of April
1) India, World’s 6th Largest Economy at $2.6 trillion: IMF
India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), the worth of the economy, clocked in at $2.6 trillion for 2017, according to the database of the International Monetary Fund’s World Economic Outlook (WEO) for April 2018.
India is now the world’s sixth largest economy, displacing France. The Top 5 economies of the world are: The United States,China, Japan, Germany and, The United Kingdom.
2) Government Revises Target to Complete PMGSY from Year 2022 to 2019
The Union Government has stated that the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana or PMGSY is well on its way to achieving the target by March 2019. The scheme, since its inception in 2000, has been able to provide connectivity to more than One lakh 50 thousand habitations.
Sensing the importance and urgency of rural roads for national development, the target date for completion of PMGSY-I has been preponed from 2022 to 2019.
3) The Pulitzer Prizes for 2018 has been announced. Following are the winners of the Pulitzer Prize 2018.
1. Fiction- Andrew Sean Greer’s “Less” has won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. Greer’s novel tells the comic story of a middle-aged novelist.
2. Drama- Cost of Living, by Martyna Majok
4) World Bank Projects India’s Growth Rate at 7.3% for 2018-19
5) Veteran Bollywood Actor Dharmendra to be Conferred With Raj Kapoor Lifetime Achievement Award
6) Prince Charles to Succeed His Mother Queen Elizabeth II as Head of Commonwealth
Britain’s Prince Charles will succeed his mother Queen Elizabeth II as the Head of the Commonwealth after the heads of government agreed on his succession.
7) CWG 2018 Concludes: Australia Tops Medal Tally, India Third
India finished third in the medals tally at the Commonwealth Games 2018 with 66 medals (26 Gold, 20 Silver and 20 Bronze). Only Australia with 198 medals and England with 136 were ahead. India’s 26 Golds was also third, behind Australia (80) and England (45). India’s combined 66 medals is its third-best showing in the history of the Games.
8) CWG 2018: Kidambi Srikanth Wins his 1st CWG Silver
World number one Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth won his career’s first Commonwealth Games singles Silver medal.
9) CWG 2018: Saina Nehwal Win Historic 2nd CWG Gold
Shuttler Saina Nehwal defeated world number three PV Sindhu in the first-ever all-Indian women’s singles final at the Commonwealth Games.
#Update 4th week of April
1) World Press Freedom Index Report: India Ranks 138th, Norway Tops.
The World Press Freedom Index measures the level of media freedom in 180 countries, including the level of pluralism, media independence, the environment and self-censorship, the legal framework, transparency, and the quality of the infrastructure.
2) Rafael Nadal Win 11th Monte Carlo Masters Title
Rafael Nadal of Spain has won the 11th Monte Carlo Masters title by defeating Japan’s Kei Nishikori in final to retain the world number one ranking.
3) 25 April: World Malaria Day
Theme: Ready to beat malaria
4) Sikkim Chief Minister Becomes India’s Longest-Serving CM
Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling became the longest-serving Chief Minister in India, surpassing the record of Jyoti Basu, who served as West Bengal CM from 1977 to 2000.
Chamling became the Chief Minister in December 1994 and belongs to the Sikkim Democratic Front.
5) World Earth Day: 22nd April
6) Barcelona Clinches its 25th La Liga Title
Five-time Ballon d’Or winner Lionel Messi netted a hat-trick as Barcelona defeated Deportivo to clinch the La Liga for the seventh time in 10 years and the 25th time in their history.
Barcelona also extended their league record unbeaten streak to 34 matches. Barcelona has 86 points after 34 matches and are 15 points ahead of third-placed Real Madrid.
7) Gujarati Poet Sitanshu Yashaschandra Chosen for Saraswati Samman 2017
8) Uday Kotak Redesignated as MD & CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank
9) Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh released a book titled *‘My Journey from Marxism-Leninism to Nehruvian Socialism’* by former Planning Commission and Finance Commission member *C H Hanumantha Rao*.
10) North, South Korea Commit to Denuclearization in Historic Summit
The leaders of North and South Korea agreed to pursue a permanent peace and the complete denuclearization of the divided peninsula, as they embraced after a historic summit laden with symbolism.
Kim Jong-un, the leader of North Korea and Moon Jae-in, the leader of South Korea also agreed to end hostile activities between the two nations, change the demilitarised zone (DMZ) that divides the country into a “peace zone” by ceasing propaganda broadcasts. They also agreed to joint participation in sporting events, including Asian Games 2018.