1st week of June
1) World Environment Day: 5th June
Theme: Connecting people to Nature
2) India slips to 45th spot in IMD's World Competitiveness list.
India has been ranked 45th, down four notches from last year, in terms of competitiveness in the annual rankings compiled by IMD which saw Hong Kong topping the list.
3) RCom-Aircel merged wireless company to be called Aircom
Reliance Communications (RCom) Chairman Anil Ambani has announced that the merged entities of RCom and Aircel will be called Aircom. These merged entities are Reliance Communications and Maxis Communications Berhad (MCB). Both the companies announced their merger plans in September 2016.
4) India ranked 137th in the Global Peace Index 2017
*Iceland* has been named the world's most peaceful country, topping the Global Peace Index for the tenth consecutive year followed by New Zealand and Portugal at second and third position while Syria has been named the least peaceful country.
5) *Sanjiv Singh* has taken over as the Chairman of the country’s biggest company Indian Oil Corporation. He replaces B Ashok.
6) ISRO launches its heaviest rocket GSLV mk III
Remember this name.
7) Indian Government to scrap UGC,AICTE soon with HEERA.
*HEERA*: Higher Education Empowerment Regulation Agency.
8) RBI keeps Repo Rate unchanged in Second Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement, 2017-18
Repo rate: 6.25%
Reverse repo rate : 6%
Cash reserve ratio: 4%
9) Montenegro becomes NATO’s 29th member
Montenegro has officially joined North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and hence became the 29th member country of NATO
10) 'Ministry of Utmost Happiness' authored by Arundhati Roy launched
2nd week of June
1) India, Pakistan Become Full Members Of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
The SCO was founded at a Summit in Shanghai in 2001 by the Presidents of Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
SCO is regarded as a counterweight to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
2) Rohan Bopanna wins French Open mixed doubles title to clinch maiden Grand Slam.
3) Virat Kohli sole Indian in top 100 of Forbes list of world’s highest paid athletes.
The list has been topped by Ronaldo with a total pay of 93 million dollars.
4) New MD and CEO of NSE( national stock exchange) : Vikram Limaye
5) Walmart topped the fortune's annual list of top 500 companies for thr 5th consecutive year.
6) Verizon Completes Yahoo Acquisition
Telecom giant Verizon has acquired Yahoo’s core business for $4.48bn (£3.51m), thus ending Yahoo’s two-decade long run as an independent company. Verizon is the No.1 wireless operator in the US.
7) world day against child labour 2017: 12th June
The government has recently amended the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986 which came into effect in September 2016.
This amendment prohibits employment of children below 14 years in any occupation or process. It also prohibits the employment of adolescents (14 to 18 years) in hazardous occupations and processes.
8) Indian shooters Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu have clinched the gold medal in mixed team 10m air pistol event of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup held at Gabala, Azerbaijan.
9) Kaladan multi-modal transport (KMTT) projects: Connects myanmar to mizoram.
Government has awarded a Rs 1,600-crore contract for constructing 109-km road connecting Paletwa river terminal to Zorinpui in Mizoram border as a part of the $484-million Kaladan multi-modal transport (KMTT) projects in Myanmar which will offer connectivity to Mizoram.
10) The French Open 2017 Winners
The French open title 2017 was held recently from 22 May-11 June 2017 at Roland Garros in Paris, France
A. French Men's Singles Open Title- Spain's Rafael Nadal (10th French Title) defeated Stan Wawrinka (Switzerland).
B. French Women's Singles Open Title- Latvia's Jelena Ostapenko (1st Grand Slam Title) defeated Simona Halep (Rome).
11) Bollywood superstar Shah rukh khan, the top-ranked Indian, has baggef the 65th position with his earnings of 38 million dollars in the world's highest paid celebritied according to Forbes magazine.
Update 3rd week of June
1) Israeli author David Grossman has won the Man Booker International Prize 2017 for his novel `A Horse Walks Into a Bar'
2) India continued to rise in the Global Innovation Index (GII) rankings for the second year in succession, after four consecutive years of decline. In 2017 rankings released in Geneva (Switzerland), India improved its position from 66 to 60.
Top three most innovative countries in the list are-
3) India-Australia naval exercise ‘AUSINDEX 17’ begins
A. In May 2017, Singapore and India held a maritime bilateral exercise 'SIMBEX 17'
B. Canberra is the Capital of Australia and its currency is Australian dollar.
4) Indian-origin Leo Varadkar becomes Ireland’s youngest PM.
5) *India’s Kidambi Srikanth* has lifted the Indonesia Open Super Series badminton title by defeating Japanese qualifier Kazumasa Sakai in straight games 21-11, 21-19 in the Men’s Singles final at Jakarta, Indonesia.
6) Mobile app *celebrating yoga* is launched.
App provides a platform to share information and create awareness into the participation of yoga events on the occasion of the International yoga day 2017.
7) The government makes aadhar card mandatory for opening a bank account as well as for carrying out financial transactions above Rs. 50000 .
8) Government ropes in Amitabh bachchan to promote GST
9) The Punjab Government has announced free education for girls in government schools and colleges from Nursery to Ph.D. This is the major step towards women empowerment by Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh.
10) Hike Messenger partners with YES Bank to launch in-app Wallet.
Hike Messenger launched the new version of the app with a completely new interface and the addition of a mobile wallet, in partnership with YES Bank. With Unified Payments Interface support enabled in Hike 5.0, users can now do free and instant bank-to-bank transfers with their friends.
11) International Yoga Day: 21st June
12) 114-year-old Taj Palace of Mumbai becomes first Indian building to get trademark
The iconic Taj Mahal Palace hotel in the Mumbai City has acquired an 'image trademark', making it the first building in the country to get intellectual property rights protection for its architectural design
Last week of June
1) World's 1st ATM celebrates its 50th birthday.
The 1st ATM was opened on june 1967 by barclays bank of Enfield, London.
HSBC is the 1st bank to introduce the ATM concept in India way back in India
2) Kaushik Basu takes over as President of IEA ( International Economic Association).
Earlier, Kaushik basu has served india's chief economic adviser and chief economist of World Bank.
*HQ of IEA*: Barcelon spain
3) IDFC Ltd announced the elevation of its CFO Sunil Kakar as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the company with effect from July 16 for three years.
Besides, the company announced that the Board has approved the resignation of veteran banker Vikram Limaye from the post of MD and CEO who is set to join leading stock exchange NSE as its new Managing Director and CEO.
4) Indian cricket Team create world record for most 300-plus scores in ODIs
5) In Badminton, ace Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth has lifted the Australian Open Superseries trophy in Sydney.
The trophy is Srikanth's second this season and fourth overall. He had won the Indonesian Open last week.
6) Jagannath Puri chariot festival begins
In Odisha, the most awaited biggest annual festival of Rath Yatra or Chariot Festival at Puri commences.
7) Rural Uttarakhand and Rural Haryana declared Open Defecation Free states.
Already, Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh and Kerala, have been decleared ODF.
So total 5 states in India are open defecation free states.