1st week of July
1) FINO becomes payments bank
FINO Payments Bank has commenced operations as a payments bank with effect from 30th June 2017 according to the Reserve Bank of India.
FINO PayTech Ltd, Mumbai, was one of the 11 applicants which were issued in-principle approval for setting up a payments bank.
Besides FINO, the other applicants which have launched payment bank operations are Airtel M Commerce Services, Department of Posts and Paytm Payments Bank.
2) National Multi Commodity Exchange (NMCE), India’s first demutualised online national multi-commodities exchange will merge with Indian Commodity Exchange (ICEX).
3) KK Venugopal appointed as Attorney General of India
He succeeds Mukul Rohatgi as the country’s top law officer.
Attorney General for India is the Indian government’s chief legal advisor, and its primary lawyer in the Supreme Court of India.
He has also the right to speak and take part in proceedings of both the houses of parliament including joint sittings. But cannot vote in parliament
4) GST is implemented in country since July 1st.
5) A joint military training exercise Maitree 2017 between india and Thailand held in himachal pradesh.
6) President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed election commissioner Achal Kumar Joti as the next Chief Election Commissioner (CEC). He will be the 21st CEC and shall succeed Nasim Zaidi.
7) President approves ordinance allowing Kambala in Karnataka
The promulgated ordinance legalises Kambala, bullock cart races and bull runs as traditional sports involving animals and exempt them from The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960.
8) TERI ranked second among world's climate think tanks
An international body which focuses on climate policies has ranked The Energy Resources Institute (TERI) among the top think tanks in the world. TERI was ranked number two by the International Center for Climate Governance (ICCG), an internationally-renowned body whose activities focus on the design of climate policy and related governance issues.
9) N Chandrasekaran appointed as Chairman of Tata Global Beverages Limited
Natarajan Chandrasekaran is also head of Tata Sons.
10) Indian and Chinese troops are facing off once again in Sikkim at Doko-La (or Donglong, as the Chinese call it), which lies at the tri-junction of India, China and Bhutan. There have been growing tensions between India and China.
McMahon Line is the line between India and China.
11) In the 12th G20 Summit 2017 held in Hamburg, Germany, the leaders of the G20 countries has agreed for taking concrete steps to stop funding of the terror activities.
The leaders have also pledged for a joint crackdown on the global scourge of terrorism and check its funding sources.
2nd week of July
1) World Population day: 11th July
This year's theme is “Family Planning: Empowering People, Developing Nations.”
2) Malabar exercise: among USA, India and Japan has started.
Exercise Malabar is a trilateral naval exercise involving the United States , Japan and India as permanent partners.
3) Ravi Shastri is the New Coach of Indian cricket Team after kumble exit. K Arun is the bowling coach.
4) India ranks 116th out o 157 nations on 2017 Sustainable development Goal index.
Sweden is at the 1st rank.
5) India's mithali Raj becomes 1st to score 6000 runs in women's ODI cricket.
India's Jhulan Goswami is the top wicket taker in women's ODI cricket.
6) G20 summits 2017 concluded in Hamburg city of Germany.
7) UNESCO declares Ahmedabad as world heritage city
Out of total 287 world heritage cities across the globe, *there were only two cities in the Indian subcontinent- Bhaktpur in Nepal and Galle in Sri Lanka.* Now count will be three. The UNESCO tag will add immense value to Ahmedabad city which will also boost tourism.
Important points related to this news:-
A) Ahmedabad is the city in the state of Gujarat.
The Sabarmati River runs through its centre.
B) UNESCO Headquarters based in Paris, France.
C) Irina Bokova Director-general of the UNESCO.
D) UNESCO stands for- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
3rd week of July
1) Ram Nath Kovind elected 14th President of India.
2) Roger Federer lifts a record 8th Wimbledon title beating Marin Cilic in Men’s singles
It was his 19th Grand Slam title.
Roger Federer is from Switzerland.
Wimbledon is the oldest tennis tournament in the world held in England.
Remember Roger federer has won total 19th Grand slams
3) Matunga station, Mumbai becomes India's first railway station run by women
4) IIFA awards 2017
Best Film- Neerja
Best Director- Anirudh Roy Chaudhary for Pink
Best Actor (Male)- Shahid Kapoor for Udta Punjab
Best Actor (Female)- Alia Bhatt for Udta Punjab
Best Actor in Supporting Role (Female)- Shabana Azmi for Neerja
Best Actor in Supporting Role (Male)- Anupam Kher for MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
5) K K Venugopal is New Attorney General
Senior advocate K K Venugopal’s name has been cleared for appointment as the Attorney General for India following the decision of Mukul Rohatgi to step down as the top law officer.
6) India is ranked 116 out of 157 nations* on a global index that assesses the performance of countries towards achieving the ambitious sustainable development goals (SDGs).
Remember Total SDGs are 17 goals and there are 169 targets till 2030.
At the Sustainable Development Summit on 25 September 2015, UN Member States adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which includes a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change by 2030.
7) Garbine Muguruza of Spain came out with the spectacular performance as she defeated seven-time Grand Slam Champion Venus Williams in straight sets to clinch her maiden Wimbledon title.
8) Google introduced the mobile app 'Hire' a recruiting app for small- and medium-sized businesses.
Last week of July
1) Shikha Sharma reappointed MD and CEO of Axis Bank.
HQ of axis bank : Mumbai
Slogan of axis bank: Badhti Ka Naam Zindgi
Axis bank was founded as UTI Bank in 1993.
2) Axis Bank announced the acquisition of Snapdeal-owned mobile payments provider Freecharge in an all-cash deal worth Rs. 385 crore.
3) The count of tigers in Uttarakhand shot up to 242 with an increase of 63 big cats in the year 2017.
Uttarakhand is the second state in terms of tiger count behind Karnataka, which has 400 big cats.
4) India to host maiden men's World Boxing Championship in 2021
5) India skipper Mithali Raj was chosen as the captain of the ICC Women’s World Cup 2017 team by the International Cricket Council.
Recently England won the 2017 Women's cricket world cup by defeating India in final.
6) Delhi Metro becomes world's 1st completely Green metro system.
7) World Hepatitis Day: 29th July
Hepatitis is a viral infection which causes inflammation in the liver.
Theme: eliminate Hepatitis
8) IMF retains India's 2017 GDP growth forecast at 7.2% for 2017-18 and 7.7% for 2018-19.
9) Jeff Bezos (founder of amazon) was the richest man in the world for a short period of time after a jump in share price of amazon.
Microsoft founder Bill gates is the richest man in the world.
10) Leading online travel company Yatra acquired corporate travel service provider company Air Travel Bureau (ATB) for undisclosed amount.