1st week of August
1) US Senate Confirms Christopher Wray as FBI Director
The US Senate has confirmed Christopher Wray to lead the FBI, replacing James Comey, who was abruptly fired by President Donald Trump.
FBI: The Federal Bureau of Investigation
2) SEBI approves appointment of Dhirendra Swarup as BSE chairman
Remember Bombay stock exchange is the oldest stock exchange of asia.
3) Monetary Policy: RBI cuts policy rate by 25 basis points to 6%. Now
Repo rate: 6%
Reverse repo rate: 5.75%
Remember Repo rate is the rate at which bank borrows money from rbi and reverse repo rate is vice versa.
4) Airtel Payment Bank ties up with HPCL for ATM services
Airtel Payments Bank, India’s first payments bank has announced a strategic partnership with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) to give further boost to digital payments in the country and to add to customer convenience.
All 14,000 HPCL fuel stations will act as banking points for Airtel Payments Bank. All Airtel Payments Bank customers would be able to access a range of convenient banking services at these fuel stations like opening new accounts, make cash deposits and withdrawals facility, and transfer money.
Shashi Arora is the present MD and CEO of Airtel Payment Bank.First Airtel Payment Bank was opened in Rajasthan.
5) Mukesh Ambani has elbowed past Li Ka-shing to become Asia’s second-richest man.
The owner of Alibaba Jack Ma is the Richest Person in Asia.
6) Summer Olympics: Los Angeles to host 2028 Games and Paris gets 2024 games.
Venues by Years:
2016 Games: Rio, Brazil
2020 Games: Tokyo, Brazil
2024 games: Paris, France
2028 games: Las angeles, USA
7) Economist Rajiv Kumar to be new Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog
PM Narendra Modi is present Chairperson of NITI Aayog.
NITI Aayog or the National Institution for Transforming India is a Government of India policy think-tank to replace the Planning Commission.
8) Venkaiah Naidu Is New Vice President of India
Venkaiah Naidu is going to succeed Hamid Ansari as the new Vice-President of India. He will be 13th person to become vice pesident of India.
9) JK Rowling: World’s Highest Paid Author by Forbes
She got famous by writing Harry Potter series.
10) National handloom day: 7th August
11) Mohammad Mustafa was appointed as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) in Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
2nd week of August
1) Legendary Sprinter Usain Bolt Retires.
The greatest sprinter of modern times, Usain Bolt form Jamaica retired from the Athletics world. But at farewell Race, he injured himself while running the last lap of the men’s 4x100m relay race in the World Athletics Championships in London.
2) Justice Dipak Misra to be next Chief Justice of India
He will be replacing incumbent Justice J S Khehar, who is set to retire on August 27, 2017.
Justice Misra will be sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India by President Ram Nath Kovind on August 27.
Justice Misra will retire on October 2, 2018.
1) Justice H.J Kania was the first Chief Justice of India.
2) Retirement age for supreme court judges is 65 years.
3) Facebook Launches Youtube Competitor Called ‘Watch’.
Mark Elliot Zuckerberg is a co-founder of Facebook, and currently operates as its chairman and chief executive officer.
4) Sushma Swaraj Attends BIMSTEC Meeting in Nepal.
BIMSTEC: Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation.
BIMSTEC Countries: Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal.
5) India Ratifies 2nd Commitment Period of Kyoto Protocol.
The Kyoto Protocol was adopted in Kyoto, Japan, in December 1997 and entered into force in February 2005.
The Kyoto Protocol is an international agreement linked to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), which commits its Parties by setting internationally binding emission reduction targets.
6) Nation celebrates 75th anniversary of Quit India Movement.
The Quit India Movement was an important milestone in the Indian freedom struggle. Under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi, people across India came together to uproot imperialism.
Quit India Movement: Aug. 1942
7) Hritik Roshan has been signed as a brand ambassador by a health and wellness startup Cure.fit in a deal worth Rs 100 crore. The actor will be associated with the brand for five years
8) FMCG Britannia to set up largest plant in Maharashtra.
India’s leading FMCG Britannia Industries would set up its largest plant in Maharashtra in a food park at Ranjangaon.
FMCG: Fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) or consumer packaged goods (CPG) are products that are sold quickly and at relatively low cost. Examples include non-durable goods such as soft drinks, toiletries, over-the-counter drugs, processed foods and many other consumables.
Britannia Industries Ltd managing director: Varun Berry
9) Three Indian firms, Hindustan Unilever, Asian Paints and Bharti Airtel are among Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 most innovative companies, where Salesforce.Com has replaced Tesla Motors on the top position.
While HUL and Asian Paints have moved up in their ranks to seventh and eighth respectively (from 31st and 18th last year), Bharti Airtel has entered the ranking at 78th position.
10) Japanese encephalitis killed more than 50 children in Gorakhpur district of UP.
11) Indian Oil Buys First Shale Oil from US.
State-owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has bought the country’s first shale oil from the US and is looking to step up imports from America as part of its crude diversification strategy. IOC bought 1.9 million barrels of US crude in its second import tender seeking oil from the Americas.
12) The International Youth Day: 12 August
13) Jet Airways Appoints Vinay Dube as CEO.
Jet Airways has been without a full-time CEO since Cramer Ball quit in February 2016.
Jet Airways is an Indian airline based in Mumbai.
14) Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY) Launched.
The Government of India has decided to launch a new sub-scheme named “Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY)” as part of the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM).
The Self Help Groups under DAY-NRLM will operate road transport service in backward areas. This will help to provide safe, affordable and community monitored rural transport services to connect remote villages with key services and amenities. AGEY will be initially implemented in 250 Blocks in the country on pilot basis.
15) Indra military Exercise: India, Russia for first time conduct tri-services exercise.
Remember the name Indra for India and Russia military exercise.
3rd week of August
1) Vishal Sikka has resigned as MD and CEO of infosys.
2) Home Minister Rajnath Singh has launched the live twitter wall for promoting Bharat Ke Veer portal on the eve of 71st Independence Day.
‘Bharat Ke Veer’ portal aims to facilitate online donation directly to the families of paramilitary troopers who have sacrificed their lives for the country in the line of duty from January 1, 2016.
3) ‘Indira Canteen Scheme’ Launched in Bengaluru
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi launched the ‘Indira Canteen’ scheme, dedicated to former Prime minister Indira Gandhi- a state government initiative to provide food at low cost to cater to the urban poor.
The canteen, located in Kanakana Palya (Jayanagar) in Bengaluru, is one of 101 such that opened across various locations in Bengaluru. The canteens are loosely modelled on the late Tamil Nadu chief minister J. Jayalalithaa’s “Amma canteens”.
4) IAAF World Championships 2017 was held in London. USA topped the medal list.
5) Tennis star Serena Williams– The Highest-Paid Female Athlete of 2017.
Emma Stone Named as 2017’s Highest-Paid Female Actor.
6) Sadbhavana Diwas: 20 August
The Sadbhavana Diwas or Harmony Day is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary (August 20) of Rajiv Gandhi.
7) India’s First World Peace University Inaugurated in MIT, Pune
8) Sanjiv Gupta Appointed President and MD of General Motors India
General motors is a USA based Automobile company.
9) Karur Vysya Bank Appoints P R Seshadri as MD and CEO.
Bank’s slogan: smart way to bank
Bank’s HQ: Karur , Tamil nadu
10) Melbourne Named ‘World’s Most Liveable City’
Melbourne (in Australia) has been named world’s most liveable city for a record seventh year in a row, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Global Liveability Report 2017.
Damascus in Syria was deemed the world’s worst among the 140 cities surveyed
11) India celebrated its 71st Independence Day on 15th August 2017.
12) 112 Gallantry Awards were awarded by Indian President to Armed Forces Personnel, members of Paramilitary Forces on the occasion of Independence day.
Wartime gallantry awards in decreasing order:-
Param veer chakra
Maha veer chakra
Peacetime gallantry awards in decreasing order:-
Last week of August
1) PV Sindhu, First Brand Ambassador for Bridgestone India.
Badminton ace PV Sindhu, who recently won Silver at the World Championship, was appointed the first brand ambassador of tyre maker Bridgestone India.
2) PM Modi to Attend 9th BRICS Summit in China.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend the 9th BRICS Summit, Xiamen in China’s Fujian province during 3rd to 5th of September.
BRICS countries include- Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
3) Dara Khosrowshahi is New Uber CEO.
Transport Company Uber has finally selected a new CEO of the company- Dara Khosrowshahi. He is from Iran. Khosrowshahi is the CEO of online travel booking company Expedia Inc.
He has replaced Travis Kalanick.
4) National Sports Day: 29 August.
The National Sports day is celebrated on 29th August every year to mark the birthday of legendary hockey player Major Dhyan Chand. To celebrate the day various programs are being conducted through the country.
5) Sushma Swaraj Inaugurated 1st ‘Videsh Bhavan’ in Mumbai.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj inaugurated the country’s first ‘Videsh Bhavan’. The Bhavan integrates all offices of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in Maharashtra It is located in the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC), Mumbai.
6) P V Sindhu Won Silver at World Badminton Championship 2017.
PV Sindhu won the Silver medal in World Badminton Championship 2017. She lost the historic match against Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara in an epic final, in Glasgow, Scotland
For India, it still is a historic edition since for the first time country’s shuttler are returning with two medals. Saina Nehwal won a bronze.
7) Dipak Misra Sworn in as CJI.
Justice Dipak Misra was sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India.
8) Devendra Jhajharia became the first para athlete to receive India’s highest sporting honour — Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna — along with hockey star Sardar Singh.
9) Raghuram Rajan Pens Book ‘I Do What I Do’ on his RBI Stint.
Former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan has penned a book titled ‘I Do What I Do: On Reform, Rhetoric & Resolve’. Raghuram Rajan explains economic concepts and talks of issues like tolerance and connection between political freedom and prosperity in his new book.
10) Nandan Nilekani Returns to Infosys as New Chairman.
Nandan Nilekani has been appointed as the New Chairman of the software giant Infosys. Nilekani has replaced R Seshasayee, who resigned as chairman of the board. Vishal Sikka stepped down as CEO of the company recently.
11) Cabinet Renames SAMPADA Scheme as PMKSY.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the renaming of the new Central Sector Scheme- SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) as “Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY)” for the period of 2016-20 coterminous with the 14th Finance Commission cycle.
The objective of PMKSY is to supplement agriculture, modernize processing and decrease Agri-Waste.
12) Supreme Court Declares Right to Privacy as Fundamental Right.
With this now India has total seven fundamental rights.
Right to equality,
Right to freedom,
Right against exploitation,
Right to freedom of religion,
Cultural and Educational rights, and
Right to constitutional remedies are the 6 fundamental rights of India.
13) Alibaba’s Jack Ma is Asia’s Richest Man: Forbes
14) Wayne Rooney, England’s Record Goalscorer, Retires.
Wayne Rooney, hailed from England retired from international football to prioritize ending his career on a high with boyhood club Everton.